This question has been flagged

Hello all,

INTRODUCTION

I've installed Postgres and Odoo in our company Synology NAS using docker and I would like to be sure that I can backup it all (database and configurations) to be able to delete it all, install both packages again and then just recover my backup in case of a total disaster / data corruption...

If you want, jump directly to ODOO FILES BACKUP as the database part is clear now.

DATABASE BACKUP (after lots of reading I think I have the right approach)

I have mounted the /var/lib/postgresql/data docker folder in a physical folder in my Synology.  This should allow the native backup program to access and copy that folder every night. 

anyway, it seems that this is not the best practice as the database runtime could update the files while my backup program is working, resulting in a corrupted or non usable backup.

To solve this I will schedule a pgdump command, which will use the expected method to backup the database which will keep the database copy stored in the same /var/lib/postgresql/data exposed folder. 

Then my backups program will be able to reach it and keep the files safe for me to recover them in case of need avoiding strange corruption problems and doing the backup of the database in the best possible way..

To recover the pgdump file I could recover the file from my backups and then use the database manager directly using that recovered file as source.

ODOO FILES BACKUP

Even database data is correctly backup, I still need to backup the files and folders that get modifications in the Odoo installation.
I can imagine that new reports, configurations... are stored in configuration files in specific folders of the ODOO installation.

I could expose the important folders and then my NAS backup program could just backup those, but I don't know which folders should I expose.

https://hub.docker.com/ _/odoo recommends exposing 3 folders:

/var/lib/odoo

/etc/odoo

/mnt/extra-addons

My problem is not exposing folders, this is already done.  My problem is knowing if those folders are enough.

Which folders should I expose or, said it in another way, which are the important folders to backup on any ODOO 14 installation in order to be on the safe side.

Any help about this will be very welcome.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help.

Discard