This question has been flagged

So I tried to install odoo 12 as a first time user. Since it's a browser accessible thin I started with a clean Ubuntu setup on an old laptop (core2duo with 4gb ram). Running Ubuntu on that is a breeze. But installing odoo 12 is a hell. It started out fine with installing postgresql. Then with the echo to some sources.list file it went wrong. The file does not exist. Since I'm not a Linux guru I decided to abandon that and go for the windows approach. Installed a clean win 10 pro on the same laptop and downloaded odoo 12. Started the installer and finished it without errors. (Linux can learn something from that)

Though my hopes were very high the installer ended with the question if I wanted to start odoo? Well yes, I sure do. So my browser popped up with http://localhost:8069/ in it. Spinning for a while and ended with a 500 error. 

The odoo log file said a whole lot of things normal people can't make anything of but the one thing I did understand was the fact that odoo could not connect with the database. So I checked task manager and odoo was not wrong. Postgresql service is not there. Nowhere to be found. So now what? I tried to start postgresql myself with pg_ctl from command line. But the database path stated in odoo.conf is not a database cluster. Tried initdb but the folder isn't empty. Tried initdb on a new folder but it gave some wierd error about message_lc.

Why is it so hard to make a solid stable installation process? Is it postgresql? Choose mariadb then? But for the love of God why not make installing such a program as intuitive as an app on my phone? It that so much to ask?

Discard
Best Answer

Hi,

The installation of the windows is a pretty easy process, what we have to do is that only to run the downloaded exe file.  The installation process in Ubuntu is a little bit lengthy, still, there is a lot of documentation on how to do it. Even there is an installation script of Yenthe, which makes the installation of Odoo in Ubuntu easier.

During the installation, there might be issues if everything is not done properly. So check the log file and search for the solution over the internet and go ahead.

Installation Script: https://github.com/Yenthe666/InstallScript

Thanks

Discard
Author Best Answer

(this reaction should be below the first reaction in this thread, but since I have to gain these stupid karma points before I am able to react to somebody else's reaction it will be on top of the other reaction, who makes these decisions?)

Thank you for your reaction but it's not a solution. On this forum alone I can find so many people with the same issue while installing. And the issue dates back to odoo7 even. But never ever has is occurred to anybody to really address this issue. In my opinion that makes this community blind to improvement. Because the issue (for windows at least) is fairly simple to avoid. Two ways: place a check for registry items with postgresql in the installer and act upon the result. And the other way would be to replace postgresql for a more reliable SQL server without these stupid issues. 

Having to look in an log file and decipher the text is giving odoo a bad brand name for newcomers like me. I'm not an IT guy, I want odoo to run if I install it. Period.

The forum and community should be for question about how to do or handle things inside odoo when using it. If that is not a priority then odoo is just another piece of software for nerds. And will never become mainstream. But I think the stockholders will agree with me that odoo (community edition) should be for the mainstream. Since it's the first step towards the Enterprise edition. 

Discard

If you have some feedback about the Odoo, you can directly write to them over an email. The forum is the not place to discuss it, you can either check the mailing list. Rather than complaining and using words stupid etc, try to find a solution and go ahead rather than complaining. if you are not an IT guy, get the help of an IT guy and set the system properly. Seems you have no intention to fix and just complain.

Author

Well to be honest, I used to be an IT guy. After 14 years as a programmer I stepped up and became a consultant. After being a consultant for 8 years I became a building contracter because I was tired of the amount of egocentric and arrogant IT guys. Every IT guy seems to know whats best. But they forget to ask the customer... Over and over again. But that is offtopic.

Ontopic. I've tried your sulotion of looking through post about the same issue on this forum and tried the common "solution" (being removing all registry items with portgre or pgadmin in them). But again the same thing happend after installing succesfully (according to the installer). 500 error, due to no PostgreSQL server. The server won't start because the folder it supposed to use is not a database cluster. Shall I continue repeating what I said before? So no sollution. Do you (or anybody else) have a sollution for this problem?