This question has been flagged
3 Replies

The Current Setup

I am attempting to load default data into a module I am designing.  To do so, I have my model setup in cra_model.py, and the default data setup in cra_data.xml  which is referenced in my __manifest__.py as such:

{
     'data': ['data/cra_data.xml'],
}

Here are the contents of my models and data files.

cra_model.py
# -*- encoding: utf-8 -*-
from odoo import models, fields, api
class CraCats(models.Model):
     _name = 'cra.cat'
     name = fields.Char('CRA Category')
     type = fields.Selection(
         [('in','Income'), ('out','Expense')],
         string='Income or Expense?')

cra_cat_data.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<odoo>
    <record id="cra_cat_a" model="cra.cat">
        <field name="name">Income from sales</field>
        <field name="type">in</field>
    </record>
    <record id="cra_cat_b" model="cra.cat">
        <field name="name">Purchases for sales</field>
        <field name="type">out</field>
    </record>
</odoo>

The Problem at Hand

I am able to install the module just fine without the data file reference in the __manifest__.py.  As soon as I add the data file reference back, and attempt an install or upgrade of the module, I receive the following traceback on the server.  The webui merely gets stuck in a loading state.

2018-01-17 00:48:48,989 83958 CRITICAL Testing odoo.service.server: Failed to initialize database `Testing`.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/odoo/odoo/service/server.py", line 911, in preload_registries

registry = Registry.new(dbname, update_module=update_module)

File "/usr/local/odoo/odoo/modules/registry.py", line 83, in new

odoo.modules.load_modules(registry._db, force_demo, status, update_module)

File "/usr/local/odoo/odoo/modules/loading.py", line 339, in load_modules

loaded_modules, update_module)

File "/usr/local/odoo/odoo/modules/loading.py", line 237, in load_marked_modules

loaded, processed = load_module_graph(cr, graph, progressdict, report=report, skip_modules=loaded_modules, perform_checks=perform_checks)

File "/usr/local/odoo/odoo/modules/loading.py", line 156, in load_module_graph

_load_data(cr, module_name, idref, mode, kind='data')

File "/usr/local/odoo/odoo/modules/loading.py", line 95, in _load_data

tools.convert_file(cr, module_name, filename, idref, mode, noupdate, kind, report)

File "/usr/local/odoo/odoo/tools/convert.py", line 845, in convert_file

convert_xml_import(cr, module, fp, idref, mode, noupdate, report)

File "/usr/local/odoo/odoo/tools/convert.py", line 898, in convert_xml_import

doc = etree.parse(xmlfile)

File "src/lxml/lxml.etree.pyx", line 3427, in lxml.etree.parse (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:85131)

File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1803, in lxml.etree._parseDocument (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:124287)

File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1823, in lxml.etree._parseFilelikeDocument (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:124599)

File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1718, in lxml.etree._parseDocFromFilelike (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:123258)

File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1139, in lxml.etree._BaseParser._parseDocFromFilelike (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:117808)

File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 573, in lxml.etree._ParserContext._handleParseResultDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:110510)

File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 683, in lxml.etree._handleParseResult (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:112276)

File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 613, in lxml.etree._raiseParseError (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:111124)

XMLSyntaxError: xmlParseEntityRef: no name, line 16, column 29

What am I missing?  Where have I gone wrong?

Discard

In above given code, there is no errors i think. The error is from xml file, you can check the line number mentioned in the error. probably it may be missing of something or misplaced thing in the XML. check the line 16 and column 29

Author

Ok. I looked into my XML deeper, and saw an & instead of an &amp; the XML was generated from an excel spreadsheet, and I forgot to check for &s.

Best Answer

Hi Andrew,

Here's the start of my Odoo 10 data file (which works). I think you forgot the <data> tag. Close it as well :-)

NB. noupdate ensures that the data, once changed by a user, are not overwritten when you update the module.

Bart

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<odoo>
<data noupdate="1">
<record model="property_management.subdivision_type" id="type_office">
<field name="name">Office</field>
<field name="sequence">1</field>
</record>

Discard
Author

Bart, thanks for the info. However, "[t]he <odoo> top element in data files was introduced in version 9.0 and replaces the former <openerp> tag. The <data> section inside the top element is still supported, but it is now optional. In fact, now <odoo> and <data> are equivalent, so we could use either one as top elements for our XML data files." <<Odoo 10 Development Essentials, Daniel Reis, pg 84>> This is to say that <odoo> and <data> are now interchangeable top elements. There is no longer the need to place the <data> element between <odoo> and <record>. In your provided example, you could also get away with <odoo noupdate="1">. I am genuinely grateful for your desire to help me troubleshoot. My problem was, in the end, caused by a missing escape character. I had an ampersand(&) where I ought to have had the escape character equivalent (&amp;). Peace and all good! Proost!

Good that it was *only* a syntax issue. Odoo is not very good at pointing these things out, and we ourselves often look too far :-)