Odoo Help

Killing idle postgres processes

By
Mario Gielissen | Openworx
on 4/14/16, 3:53 AM 2,418 views

Odoo does not close idle postgresql processes by default. Is there a way to close idle postgres processes (without restarting odoo service)?

Axel Mendoza
On 4/14/16, 4:22 AM

You could do it using pg_bouncer as connection pooling in front of your postgresql database and config odoo to connect to it. Pg_bouncer could close the idle transactions for you by setting a timeout for the idle connections that it's managed. Also it could increase your connections number for Odoo and others postgresql consumers by a really big number difference in compared with the real postgresql connections

Thanks, I'm currently testing it. Has pgbouncer any performance impact on Odoo?

on 4/14/16, 4:50 AM

normally an improvement of Odoo performance because of the pg_bouncer connection pooling. I use transaction timeout to close the idle queries. The only thing could be when you are using pg_bouncer to pool all your database and you try to create a new database through pg_bouncer, that is not working completely in my setup

Axel Mendoza
on 4/14/16, 4:54 AM

It seems to work, after around 10 minutes the idle processes are gone.

on 4/14/16, 5:21 AM

I can create a new database without problems.

on 4/14/16, 5:23 AM

Could you share your pg_bouncer config that allow you to create and proxy new databases?. It have been a while since I mount it and maybe I just dont config something needed for that

Axel Mendoza
on 4/14/16, 3:37 PM

[databases]

* = port=5432

[pgbouncer]

logfile = /var/log/postgresql/pgbouncer.log

pidfile = /var/log/postgresql/pgbouncer.pid

listen_addr = *

listen_port = 6432

unix_socket_dir = /var/run/postgresql

auth_type = trust

auth_file = /etc/pgbouncer/userlist.txt

admin_users = postgres

stats_users = postgres

pool_mode = transaction

server_reset_query = DISCARD ALL;

server_check_query = select 1

server_check_delay = 10

max_client_conn = 1000

default_pool_size = 20

log_connections = 1

log_disconnections = 1

About This Community

This platform is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Register

Odoo Training Center

Access to our E-learning platform and experience all Odoo Apps through learning videos, exercises and Quizz.

Test it now

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 4/14/16, 3:53 AM
Seen: 2418 times
Last updated: 5/12/16, 3:21 PM