This question has been flagged
5 Replies

Hi all,

May i know how does the initial balances in general ledger work? Does it carry forward the amount from last month into this month? How does it link with trial balance?

I would like to get the bring forward amount in the general ledger for every month as the opening.

I've tried select the period and tick for the initial balances option but no luck, all the initial balance amount in my account ledger always show zero (RM0) when print the general ledger in pdf format .

Would appreciate anyone of your kind help point me to the right direction.

Thanks,

KN.

Discard

@Ermin Trevisan Thanks for reply. May i know how to make a complete opening processing for each month?

This depends on the Odoo version you are using. Please consult the official Odoo documentation https://www.odoo.com/documentation/user/9.0/accounting.html or https://doc.odoo.com/book/3/3_9/ for version 8.0 . Please note that you do not only have to opening each month like a new fiscal year, but also to close each month like a fiscal year.

I have to remark that I do not understand why you would want to do that in the first place, I have no idea what the use case of such a procedure would be. So I'm not sure if you really know what you are doing from an accounting perspective.

Author Best Answer

@Ermin Trevisan

I am giving an example so that you can understand my situation easily.
"If I choose period for from 1st February 2016 to 29 February 2016, it didn't start with balance from 31st January 2016. it start with transaction of 1st February. For instance, my cash balance in 31st January 2016 is 1500. 1st February 2016 have a transaction which debit 500. When I tick period of 1st February 2016 to 29th February 2016, it will only show balance 500 instead of 2000."

So if I want the ending balance of February, I should choose period starting from January to February?

Discard
Best Answer

No accounting system in this world does that, because obviously no accountant in this world ever wanted to achieve that. So whatever reason you might have, if you really want to achieve that, you have to do a complete year end/year opening processing for each month.

Discard