Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to Override method of BaseModel/ ORM in odoo v8 ?

By
Anil R. Kesariya
on 9/3/14, 3:33 AM 2,290 views

In Base model method are defined using decorator.

I have tried to override the base model with this solution but it coudln't work.

from openerp.models import BaseModel

class custom_class(BaseModel)

@api.multi

def method_name

@ I have tried with applyting decorator and without decorator but my override function is not called yet. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Why are you inheriting from BaseModel (i.e. class custom_class(BaseModel)). I did not found any use of BaseModel in this way in the addons, but maybe I'm missing something.

Lucio
on 9/3/14, 9:53 AM

I want to apply some global changes on odoo8 so for that I want to override the core methods or the main method. do you have any idea?

Anil R. Kesariya
on 9/3/14, 9:58 AM

Duplicate question maybe? https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/how-to-override-basemodel-or-model-class-of-orm-py-36517

Lucio
on 9/3/14, 11:17 AM

Sudhir Arya (SA)

--Sudhir Arya (SA)--
| 6 8 8
Ahmedabad, India
--Sudhir Arya (SA)--

Working as an OpenERP/Odoo developer and a Team Leader 

Top 5 Odoo contributor On Stackoverflow

LinkedIn

Blog

Stackoverflow

Sudhir Arya (SA)
On 9/3/14, 3:21 PM

Hello Anil,

Try can try with following example in which I have assigned my own method to read of base method:

from openerp.models import BaseModel

from openerp import api

@api.v8

def my_read(self, fields=None, load='_classic_read'):

#your code goes here

BaseModel.read = my_read

I guess this is what you are looking for.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks @Sudhir it works for me!

Anil R. Kesariya
on 9/4/14, 1:34 AM

And how do you actually override, let's say, the create function ? Because if you return BaaseModel.create at the end of your custom create, you will have recursion issues.

PY
on 7/1/15, 11:18 AM

You don't have to call no one. The return of the new method IS the return of the old method. The old one has been overwritten (i.e. replaced) altogether.

Lucio
on 7/16/15, 3:58 PM

hello Sudhir.. it gives me this error TypeError: my_user_has_groups() takes at least 4 arguments (2 given). Can you check this qtn ... http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34725611/how-to-override-method-of-basemodel-openerp-models-py-in-odoo-v9

manuthalasseril
on 1/11/16, 11:03 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

4 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 9/3/14, 3:33 AM
Seen: 2290 times
Last updated: 3/20/15, 8:58 AM