This question has been flagged
3 Replies

Initially I had performed an "out of the box" install with the all-in-one deb file for Ubuntu 16.04 that I downloaded from Odoo.com and I installed it "as is".  It puts the database datastore, PostgresSQL software, and Odoo app all on the same hard drive and in the same environment.  We were a very small shop and were only experimenting to see how it would work for us.  We made some changes to our busness practices to conform with Odoo (Odoo is made to conform to world's best business practices), and made some changes to Odoo to conform to our business.  And as time went by Odoo became our actual business software with all of our real production data.  A lot of data.  We're going to run out of hard drive.  And I don't like having everything in the same place.  So, how do I create a PostgreSQL datastore on a different hardware, keep Odoo and Postgresql software where it is, and port my data to the new datastore?

Discard
Author

I can't see how to do it, but this question has been solved and can be marked as such.

Author Best Answer

I can't see how to do it, but this question has been solved and can be marked as such.

Discard
Best Answer

I faced the data lost problem from my hard drive. We know that data store in hard drive . Suddenly system was crashed and at that time format the drive but data delete from drive. I have been searching data recovery</a> service center.  Although I got some information through https://www.uaetechnician.com/hard-drive-data-recovery.html browsing site. Need an alternate solution. Suggest to me.

Discard
Best Answer

Hi Donald,

The easiest to do is by setting up a clean new server. Install Odoo on it with the latest patches, install postgreSQL and then manually move the database. If the database is not huge you can take a backup through the frontend on http://yourwebsite.com/web/database/manager as this will include all images into the dump file.
If the database is to big you'll need to dump it from the command line. In this case you will need to restore the database on the new instance and also move the filestore (which holds all your files) manually to the new server.
One of the guys on the help forum has made a post about this which explains it quite well. See https://www.odoo.com/nl_NL/forum/help-1/question/odoo-10-backup-and-restore-123954  
In essence you do the following:

# On the old server:
pg_dump --format=c dbname > dbdump.dump
# On the new server (under the postgreSQL user):
createdb upgraded_dbname
pg_restore -O -x -d upgraded_dbname < upgraded_dbdump.dump

Regards,
Yenthe

Discard
Author

I didn't read the other post yet, but to clarify, I got us a new server. I want to keep the Odoo app on the computer where it is now, but I want to move the database server to my new server. So, let me see if I got this right: 1.) I install PostgreSQL on my new server. 2.) I back up my database from where it is now. 3.) I recover that backup to the PostgreSQL that I installed on my new server. 4.) I configure Odoo, on the computer where it currently resides, with the IPnn.nn.nn.nn:port5432 of my new PostgreSQL location. I could even use pgAdmin that's on the computer where my current Odoo and PostgreSQL reside as an admin tool for the PostgreSQL at the new location. I just don't see how to configure Odoo for where to connect to PostgreSQL.

Author

OK, one more question: How do you configure PostGreSQL to specify where the data store should be located other than the default?