Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to edit the source code of Odoo?

By
Syam S G
on 8/10/15, 8:39 AM 1,138 views

I'm using OpenERP 8.0. I'm unable to edit the source code Oodo. After all, it is just a source code modification.

Can anyone tell me a solution to edit the source code. Thanks in advance.

Where you need to edit? As it was a open source you can able to edit the source code.

Tintu Mon
on 8/10/15, 9:08 AM

The way you ask the question let everybody assume that you don't know how to edit a file or that you are absolutely clueless about Odoo at all. So please be more specific.

Ermin Trevisan
on 8/10/15, 9:23 AM
FEDERICO LEONI
On 8/10/15, 9:27 AM

There are two way to edit Odoo code:

- The first and the simplest one is editing it trough the GUI. Here you can change the view and add actions on the modules/views.

- The second, is to edit directly python and xml files trough a good IDE like Pycharm. More complicated if you aren't skilled enough but you'll gain full control.

Side note: editing directly the source code of a module isn't a good idea. It's better create a new custom module that inherit a view or a function or for creating a completely new piece of code to suit your needs . Have a look here or directly here

If is not what you need, please elaborate a bit more your question and try to add an example.

Ermin Trevisan

--Ermin Trevisan--
| 6 3 7
Walchwil, Switzerland
--Ermin Trevisan--

Ermin Trevisan
On 8/10/15, 9:21 AM

You can use the editor of your choice to edit the source code. You can also use IDEs like Pycharm or Pydev for Eclipse.

Pycharm community edition ROCKS! :)

FEDERICO LEONI
on 8/10/15, 9:28 AM

Tarek Mohamed Ibrahim

--Tarek Mohamed Ibrahim--
| 5 3 7
Gîza, Egypt
--Tarek Mohamed Ibrahim--

I am an old VFP developer on ERP

I have moved to 2p since Nov-2014 and started developing with Python on Odoo.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/public-profile-settings?trk=prof-edit-edit-public_profile

tibrahim@2p.com.sa

Tarek Mohamed Ibrahim
On 8/10/15, 11:07 AM

if you are Windows you can use the notepad. I did that at first before going to eclipse

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 8/10/15, 8:39 AM
Seen: 1138 times
Last updated: 8/10/15, 6:09 PM