This question has been flagged

We use sheets of glass to manufacture solar panels.  All of our engineering specs and documentation refers to each sheet of glass as an unit.  However, our supplier only sells the sheets of glass that we use by weight. 

We know the exchange ratios (100 lbs of glass = 50 units). 

What is the best way to approach this.  Should we "resell" the product to ourselves to have it in the needed UoM, or can this be accomplished some other way such as internal stock move? 

Discard

Are you using BOM for manufacturing solar panels ??,, or you need to purchase in lbs and sell in units??

Author

We are using a BoM to manufacture solar panels. The supplier for the glass plates prices everything by the pound, however, we need to our inventory to be by the piece. It makes sense to call for 2 sheets of glass rather than 2 lbs of glass on the BoM.

Author

I think I have found a tenative solution to this. I created 2 products called "Test Glass by Lb" and "Test Glass by Unit". I then created a BoM to produce "Test Glass by Unit" that calls for "Test Glass by Lb". I set the quanities to relate to the ratio of pieces of glass to pound. I then created and ran a Manufacturing Order for that BoM. It reduced the inventory on my "Test Glass by Pound" and incremented my inventory of "Test Glass by Piece" as expected.