Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to convert csv files encoding to utf-8

By
Tomas Parnarauskas
on 9/9/13, 5:36 AM 6,372 views

is it possible to somehow convert csv data that has iso-8859-13 encoding to utf-8?

Old system, does not have utf-8 encoding, it uses only iso-8859-13. And OpenERP, does not have iso-8859-13, but have both utf8 and utf-16. If i try to open csv file with other encoding than iso-8859-13, then some symbols are not recognized. And if I try to import such file into OpenERP it gives error that I have wrong encoding. I can only import it using windows-1252, but then it will import with unrecognized symbols. What can I do to convert it to normal encoding such as utf-8?

Stefan Reisich

--Stefan Reisich--
| 7 7 8
Pfungstadt, Germany
--Stefan Reisich--
Stefan Reisich
On 9/9/13, 7:48 AM

Do you mean set encoding or convert? because where is an option to convert encoding? Also I use Linux, so what equivalent could do in linux as in gedit I don't see a way to convert encoding from one to another.

NOD Baltic, UAB, Tomas Parnarauskas
on 9/9/13, 8:00 AM

With notepad++ you can encode and convert. see updated image. But it is Windows application. I'm sorry... There must be something equivalent for linux too...

Stefan Reisich
on 9/9/13, 11:17 AM

I found a Linux way. See my updated answer. I hope it works, I cannot try it...

Stefan Reisich
on 9/9/13, 11:23 AM

I was able to convert encoding simply creating new csv file with utf-8 encoding, then copying everything there. I previously tried something similar with libreoffice, but that didn't work.

NOD Baltic, UAB, Tomas Parnarauskas
on 9/10/13, 3:38 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 9/9/13, 5:36 AM
Seen: 6372 times
Last updated: 8/19/16, 12:42 AM