Odoo Help

1 Answer
David Dean United Kingdom
10/1/13, 6:03 AM

Here is one solution for OpenERP 7.0 users who need to track the unique serial number of individual products during outbound shipments:

1 - Enable product serial capture To enable the recording of product serial numbers you need to first install the Product Serial (product_serial) app from Akretion. Next, make sure you have enabled the checkbox "Track serial number on products " under Settings -> Warehouse _. Traceability.

2 - Make serial number capture mandatory To make sure the serial number is entered during shipping, install the Product Serial Mandatory product_serial_mandatory module. Once installed, edit the products category and tick the checkbox "Require Serial Number on Delivery". This will present a pop-up window during shipping if the appropriate number of serial numbers has not been entered for all products within the enabled category.

This is a usable solution for me, but the user experience needs some work. To enter serial numbers you have to split the line items manually, navigate several options and then you must refresh the picking screen manually. Ideally I wanted to use the product_serial feature to automatically split by logistical unit so the picking screen simply shows a grid which the warehouse operator can immediately enter the serial numbers into without having to access another screen. This seems to be have been possible with the 6.0 version of product_serial (previously mrp_prodlot_autosplit) but I couldn't see how to get it working on 7.0.

Hopefully this will be useful to anyone who was searching for a similar solution.

2 Comments
Matthew Drew
1/17/14, 9:14 AM

Thank you for this David. I agree with you though, the user experience in 7.0 seems lacking, but that is probably because the enterprise package now exists.

Dale Scott United States
5/2/14, 9:35 PM

Can you clarify for a noob? Bitnami on Windows VirtualBox. Modules installed: Remove http://openerp.com bindings, Sales Management, CRM, MRP, Project Management, Issue Tracker, Base Import, and Document Management System. Basic product data loaded. Downloaded zips of product_serial and product_serial_mandatory from http://openerp.com, ssc'd to /opt/bitnami/apps/openerp/lib/openerp-7.0_20130922_231028-py2.7.egg/openerp, and changed permissions. I then created a new product category, but don't see a checkbox for serial mandatory. What am I missing? Really appreciate it!

Ask a Question
Writer
Keep Informed
3 follower(s)
About This Community

This platform is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Register
Odoo Training Center

Access to our E-learning platform and experience all Odoo Apps through learning videos, exercises and Quizz.

Test it now