This question has been flagged
3 Replies

I've read the available documentation (particularly the travel example), and googled around, searched this forum, etc. Cannot find a bullet proof example of how to simply add a single field to partner and have it displayed.

Here's what I have:

__openerp__.py

{
    "name" : "NT3",
    "version" : "1.7",
    "author" : "Foo",
    "category" : "Generic Modules/Others",
    "website" : "http://www.example.com",
    "description": "Foo",
    "depends" : ["base"],
    "init_xml" : [],
    "update_xml" : ["nt2_view.xml"],
    "active": True,
    "installable": True
}

__init__.py:

import nt3

nt3.py:

from osv import osv, fields
from tools.translate import _

class res_partner(osv.osv):
    _inherit = 'res.partner'

_columns = {
        'mycol': fields.char('MyCol', size=16, help='Foo'),
        }

res_partner()

nt2_view.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<openerp>
     <data>

<record id="view_partner_form" model="ir.ui.view">
            <field name="name">res.partner.form</field>
            <field name="model">res.partner</field>
            <field name="type">form</field>
            <field name="inherit_id" ref="base.view_partner_form" />
            <field name="arch" type="xml">
                <field name="email" position="after">
                    <field name="mycol" />
                </field>
            </field>
        </record>   

</data>
</openerp>

I can see mycol gets added to the database, but get this error when accessing the view:

2013-04-08 13:33:13,163 5956 ERROR dev8 openerp.osv.orm: **Can't find field 'mycol' in the following view parts composing the view of object model 'res.partner':
 * res.partner.form**

Either you wrongly customized this view, or some modules bringing those views are not compatible with your current data model
2013-04-08 13:33:13,163 5956 ERROR dev8 openerp.netsvc: View error
Can't find field 'mycol' in the following view parts composing the view of object model 'res.partner':
 * res.partner.form

Either you wrongly customized this view, or some modules bringing those views are not compatible with your current data model
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 7.0-20130407-232401\Server\server\.\openerp\netsvc.py", line 293, in dispatch_rpc
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 7.0-20130407-232401\Server\server\.\openerp\service\web_services.py", line 626, in dispatch
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 7.0-20130407-232401\Server\server\.\openerp\osv\osv.py", line 188, in execute_kw
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 7.0-20130407-232401\Server\server\.\openerp\osv\osv.py", line 144, in wrapper
except_osv: ('View error', u"Can't find field 'mycol' in the following view parts composing the view of object model 'res.partner':\n * res.partner.form\n\nEither you wrongly customized this view, or some modules bringing those views are not compatible with your current data model")
2013-04-08 13:33:13,173 5956 INFO dev8 werkzeug: 127.0.0.1 - - [08/Apr/2013 13:33:13] "POST /web/dataset/call_kw/res.partner:fields_view_get HTTP/1.1" 200 -

What have I done wrong?

apologies for formatting here - not easy to do on this forum.

Discard
Best Answer

Hello!

I have tested and run your code. It works properly. Did you try to un-install your module and install it again?

Cheers, CarlosY

Discard
Author

Restarting the server (as opposed to just deleting the pyc files, or upgrading the module in place) worked.

I forgot that one, I do it all the time! :-)

Best Answer

I do not know if it is allowed to give your own view the same ID as the view you are trying to inherit. Try changing:

record id="view_partner_form" model="ir.ui.view"

to

record id="my_view_partner_form" model="ir.ui.view"

Discard
Author

Made no difference unfortunately. I copied that code from an app that was published on app.openerp.com, so seems correct.

OpenERP will pre-pend the name of your module to every record id so you don't need to worry about it being unique.

did you reload your module or restart your server so the new XML is loaded?

XML changes will be seen by OpenERP any time the module is updated - Python changes will not. The python code that OpenERP uses is loaded from disk once only - that happens when the server starts. Any changes made to python files that the server has already seen (loaded) remain invisible until the server is re-started (and they are re-loaded). If you add a new python file - such as when you create a brand new module - then the server sees it (loads it) when you install that module, but any subsequent changes are invisible (it already has it loaded). Always restart after Python changes.

Author

Thanks Ray and Patently - that was exactly it - I had thought the compilation was dynamic after clicking "Upgrade" on the module.

Best Answer

The field in your XML file needs the same capitalization as your python file -> MyCol

you are presently using mycol in your XML.

Discard
Author

Would be surprised,since MyCol is the db column name, not the model name? Anyway, tried that, and got this: File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 7.0-20130407-232401\Server\server.\openerp\osv\orm.py", line 2260, in fields_view_get File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 7.0-20130407-232401\Server\server.\openerp\osv\orm.py", line 1937, in __view_look_dom_arch except_orm: ('View error', u"Can't find field 'MyCol' in the following view parts composing the view of object model 'res.partner':\n * res.partner.form\n\nEither you wrongly customized this view, or some modules bringing those views

mycol is the field name, MyCol is the label of that field..