This question has been flagged
7 Replies

I am looking into buying into Odoo Enterprise, however several partners have told me they do not feel Odoo 9 is production ready.

What are your thoughts and why?

Discard

Yenthe what issues specifically did you experience? My concern is we are implementing this from scratch.  In my experience upgrades on CRMs and ERPs can be sketchy, but I also don't want to be on a unstable platform.  So my choices seem to be 1 - Go with Odoo 9 which several of the Odoo partners listed on your website has warned me against as being unstable 2 - Go with Odoo 8 and have to deal with the upgrading from Odoo 8 to Odoo 9 3 - Wait an unknown period of time until Odoo releases fixes for the issues with Odoo 9 using our current system. Which do you think is the better solution?

Best Answer

We use Odoo 9 for all our customers and already have several in production.

It's stable, but its still possible that you find a bug. It should not be an issue since Odoo Enterprise has a bugfix guarantee service: all reported bugs are fixed within a day or two. I checked our support tickets: 25 reported bugs are not solved yet, the oldest one has been reported 2 days ago. (Most of them are very tricky use cases that you will probably not encounters). --> we already have hundreds of Odoo Enterprise on Odoo 9, so 25 is a small number.

Starting on 8 today would be a big mistake! The time saved by using Odoo 9 instead of 8 will LARGELY compensate the very few number of bugs you might encounter on 9. Especially since a bug should not cost you anything since Odoo SA fixes every reported bug very quickly. (Way faster that the time you will need to go into production)

PS: I have seen several partners going to Odoo 9, and several are still on 8. Usually, the reason is that they are not familiar with the new version yet.

Discard

Perhaps an important thing to add though: provided that you have an enterprise contract. You can add a bug/issue on Github when you find one but without an Odoo Enterprise contract nobody will look at it so I've been told.

Author

Fabien how do you feel about the stability of the Community Edition? I have a odd task on my plate. I need to get a stable system in place that will be able to do some basic business functions (Inventory Management mainly) and put it into a productive environment before I get the funding to go enterprise and add more customizations. We are a large company and I was brought on to integrate another ERP system which they have already vested 100s of thousands of dollars, however it is an absolute piece of garbage and I am trying with the smallest budget possible trying to prove that Odoo is a better solution so that funds can be reallocated. I have decided that since my budget is so low, to be successful it would be more important to have a support package from a partner than to pay for licensing since the functionality of Odoo Community does meet my stage one requirements. However if the Community Edition is going to be unstable than I will need to figure out how to allocate more funds to just get the basic functionality I need in a production environment.

Best Answer

Cade,

Odoo 9 is production ready.  We've just installed the community edition for a customer.  They are using CRM, Sales, Warehouse and Inventory right out of the box with no problems.  The biggest improvements to v9 include user interface and accounting re-write.  The interface is much smoother and fast.  Just make sure you double check things in accounting module before going live.

--Greg

Discard

Do you really find Odoo 9 production ready? We've done three test installations last week and managed to crash all of them within 20 minutes of testing. I'm waiting for it to become more stable..

Best Answer

Just to add to this conversation.. We have found Odoo 9 (community) unstable - at a point in its lifespan when I would expect it to be stable. Recommended modules for things like Magento do not work. The app interface stalls regularly. Template editing for emails doesn't work in the interface and has to be corrected within the database directly. For reference, we've used the Bitnami stack, to minimise the risk of outside issues/factors.

In addition to bugs, there are numerous other reasons why Odoo 9 doesn't seem fit for commercial use - most third party apps have not been ported from v8 to v9. Configuration options are severely lacking, especially around the use of emails. We've now stepped back from our Odoo 9 rollout to Odoo 8 which so far is much more stable and better supported.

Discard