This question has been flagged

Hi I'm getting trouble when trying to make an advance payment in OpenERP, I just can't understand how can I do it.

Usually my clients give an advace payment of the service they are hiring, but the invoice it's validated at the end because sometimes there are some costs that can't be considered at the beginning of the quotation.

How can I solve the problem or how can I make a payment with a quotation??

Thanks in advance

P.S. This also is a problem with Suppliers Invoice but that is not such a big problem as customers

Discard
Best Answer

You can set Create Invoice in the quotation to On Demand. Then confirm the sales order and the button Create Invoice will be visible. When you press the button you can choose between different payment options.

There is one option called Fixed price (deposit). This option allows you to invoice a certain amount and the sales order will stay in the same order. Later you can then use option invoice the whole sales order to invoice the remaining amount. If something has changed, you can easily modify the created invoice and validate it afterwards.

Discard

OpenERP credits AR when Customer payments are made. The fixed price (deposit) option, according to some Accounting Standards, is a liability because it is unearned income. If you want the deposit to go to a liability account you need to move the amount via a manual journal entry - or customization to have it go to the correct account in the first place.

Best Answer

in addition to the above answer - the supplier requires a payment before the delivery of services or goods (case of supplier who do not want to take financial risk with a brand new customer); in this case you only have to record a payment (no P/L account is concerned) evn if a pro-forma is received as a supporting document; when the sale is achieved (by the actual delivery of service or goods) an invoice is issued and thus recorded and it is already paid. - the sale/contract is such that some significant costs on the supplier's side are incurred well before the final service is achieved; in this situation it is a best practice for the parties to decide of several payment terms; the parties can decide to base payments on interim invoices; then a revenue must be accounted for (client side) and VAT must be included. - Costs and related revenues must be recorded in the same accounting period (accounting principle); at least within the same fiscal year.

Discard
Author Best Answer

Hi thanks for the answers, I understood how to do it for clients, it's a little weird what it does but it can work for my country's accontancy, just I wonder if it can make a recipt or voucher instead of a invoice for the advance.

For suppliers was a little more complex and still can't understand how to make advance payments in OERP, hope someone can explain it to me a little easier if I find something I'll post it

thanks

Discard