This question has been flagged
5 Replies

In version 6.0 there has been a menu point called "Administration / Module / Import Module" where I was able to import a module as ZIP file. This was comfortable for installing addons which I have downloaded from http://v6apps.openerp.com/.

Therefore I want to ask whether it is possible to import a module as ZIP file in v7?

Discard
Best Answer

it's not possible anymore (it was a bad idea for a ton of reasons).

You can now only uncompress the zip file inside the "addons" folder (you can find the path by looking at the openerp config file)

Discard

What if we are on a hosted server and have no access to the "addons" forlder? How to do we upload a module.zip?

In this case you'll have to ask your provider for a chrooted ssh account or an ftp one tu upload and uncompress the zip file. In OpenERP 7.0 the zip upload feature has been even removed but you can use the Apps menu to browse and install modules fetching them from apps.openerp.com (at least this is the goal, but the features still has to be finished since the new apps.openerp.com isn't ready).

In v6.1 is was already disabled. For v6.1 I described a workaround in my answer. I think it will work also for v7.

I would be interested in knowing why it was a bad idea? It seems many other applications use a method of importing from the admin UI. A really useful feature in Drupal is that you can install via URL from the admin UI, as well as zip/tar packages. In SASERP you can also import via zip/tar. So I wonder why it is a bad idea here?

@ Davide Corio I agree with the question of Sean Samborski. to Davide. Why has this been skipped? Why is this a bad idea for ton's of reasons. Please give me 2 reasons which are stronger than not having this facility. As you can see in my answer it is also rather easy to have this functionality back in place.

Best Answer

Note I didn't test this in v7, but in v6.1 the module "Import Module" was already discontinued in the menu. This was the situation for both linux and windows versions.

I have solved this in v6.1 as follows:

1. Log in as administrator with extended view.
  2. Go to Settings/Customization/User Interface/Menu Items/Settings Modules/Submenu You see there is no Import Module at sequence 4
  3. Create menu: Import Module parent menu: Modules
  4. sequence: 4 action: ir.act.actions_windows and find/select Module Import
  5. save
  6. log out log in
  7. The Import Module is now available. (Give it some time.)

Please let me know if this also works for v7.

Discard

+1 This appears to work in v7. I'm having a traceback error where no module xlrd but this is unrelated to your method. I mention it only because I can't fully confirm, just partially.

+1 It works on v7 once you enable import module as described below, go to updates modules, clear your cookies and then go to installed modules, clear the search filter and there you will see the name of your new module and click install.

Best Answer

looks totaly diffrent on v7. someone please guide on v7: i wanna instal live chat intant messaging: i have the zip file

Discard
Best Answer

I still haven't figured out, where to create a menu. Help, anybody?

Discard
Best Answer

Hi, i have do this in version 7 , Go to Settings/Customization/User Interface/Menu Items/Settings Modules/Submenu You see there is no Import Module at sequence 4

Create menu: Import Module parent menu: settings

also create sub menu of Import menu.

sequence: 1 action: ir.act.actions_windows and find/select Module Import

save

You get menu inside setting after user menu. Import Module/import menu.. for zip file.. Thanks........

Discard