Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Dual language interface possible?

on 2/21/13, 5:51 AM 1,507 views

Is it possible to have the interface display everything in two languages simultaneously? That would be very useful in multi language companies (English/Chinese for example).

If I need to explain how something works in OpenERP to a Chinese colleague and he/she uses the Chinese interface I might have trouble explaining.

Example: if you want to log out the button would say:

• log out/Abmelden (English/German) or
  • log out/出去 (English/Chinese)

If it is not possible to actually load two parallel languages I guess a workaround could be to take a language pack and make a 'translation' yourself which than just contains two languages in one pack (if you know what I mean).

Any ideas about this?

you can export translation, combine in excel and import it back with a new language name ? Is is what you want?

Altınkaya Elektronik Cihaz Kutuları imalat Ticaret ltd sti, Ahmet Altinisik
on 2/21/13, 6:55 AM

Daniel Reis

--Daniel Reis--
| 6 7 9
Lisbon, Portugal
--Daniel Reis--

Author of the "Odoo Development Essentials" book.

Applications Manager at Securitas Portugal

Github: https://github.com/dreispt

Twitter; @reis_pt

Daniel Reis
On 2/21/13, 6:53 AM

As you mentioned, it's possible to create your own "translation" where the translated text strings include the messages in both languages.

That could be automated by a program that merges merging the translation string from two file into one, it shouldn't even be that complicated.

This is my answer if you really want to do it - but why would you want to do that? You can install as many languages you like and each User can select the which language he prefers, in User -> Preferences -> Language. This change is immediate - you don't have to logout and re-login, so it's you swap between languages the whole time if you like.

We will be starting with OpenERP sometime soon and I will be the one who will be asked by everyone about everything. 80% of our staff will prefer a Chinese interface. If I need to switch language while discussing things all the time ... well, I'll prefer not to be forced to do that if i can.

on 2/21/13, 7:04 AM

Why don't you learn chinese then? Just joking :-). Go for the .po merge script then. This is an excellent task for python.

Daniel Reis
on 2/21/13, 7:08 AM

2nd: I am testing now with all-in-one package and interface language only changes AFTER log out/login procedure. Maybe that is not as it should be, but still ...it's like that at least here and for now. And 'yes', what you have proposed is what I was thinking of. Lo voy a chequar, gracias!

on 2/21/13, 7:10 AM

I speak Chinese, but ..reading an interface if you have to get a quick solution is a different story. Maybe I will even improve my Chinese with the dual-language interface PLUS my colleagues will improve their English ... win-win-win !

on 2/21/13, 7:14 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Asked: 2/21/13, 5:51 AM
Seen: 1507 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM