This question has been flagged
1 Reply

Is it possible to have the interface display everything in two languages simultaneously? That would be very useful in multi language companies (English/Chinese for example).

If I need to explain how something works in OpenERP to a Chinese colleague and he/she uses the Chinese interface I might have trouble explaining.

Example: if you want to log out the button would say:

• log out/Abmelden (English/German) or
  • log out/出去 (English/Chinese)

If it is not possible to actually load two parallel languages I guess a workaround could be to take a language pack and make a 'translation' yourself which than just contains two languages in one pack (if you know what I mean).

Any ideas about this?

Discard

you can export translation, combine in excel and import it back with a new language name ? Is is what you want?

Best Answer

As you mentioned, it's possible to create your own "translation" where the translated text strings include the messages in both languages.

That could be automated by a program that merges merging the translation string from two file into one, it shouldn't even be that complicated.

This is my answer if you really want to do it - but why would you want to do that? You can install as many languages you like and each User can select the which language he prefers, in User -> Preferences -> Language. This change is immediate - you don't have to logout and re-login, so it's you swap between languages the whole time if you like.

Discard
Author

We will be starting with OpenERP sometime soon and I will be the one who will be asked by everyone about everything. 80% of our staff will prefer a Chinese interface. If I need to switch language while discussing things all the time ... well, I'll prefer not to be forced to do that if i can.

Why don't you learn chinese then? Just joking :-). Go for the .po merge script then. This is an excellent task for python.

Author

2nd: I am testing now with all-in-one package and interface language only changes AFTER log out/login procedure. Maybe that is not as it should be, but still ...it's like that at least here and for now. And 'yes', what you have proposed is what I was thinking of. Lo voy a chequar, gracias!

Author

I speak Chinese, but ..reading an interface if you have to get a quick solution is a different story. Maybe I will even improve my Chinese with the dual-language interface PLUS my colleagues will improve their English ... win-win-win !