This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I have searched through these faq pages bust cannot get a straight answer to my problem. I have contacts in one openerp 7 db. I want to export them so I can use them in another openerp db. I have enabled users to export via csv etc

So I select mesaging, contacts and I click on list view which allows me to select export under "more". I am now presented with 50 zillion fields to select. So I select all and "add" them. I select the Import compatible function ... I then export to a file.

If I now import this csv file I can not get it to validate. It imports 0.000%

SO: Must I go and select only certain fields? must we re-enter all our contacts? Any advice please.

Discard

When you try to validate do you get a specific message? What is this message. "I can not get it to validate" doesn't provide much information for people to help you.

Author

Thanks for the reply. What I discovered is that when i select all the fields (as I said in my post), and then export them, there are columns containing id values from the database. When you now import those , they do not match with the new database structure it would seem and then you get the response I mentioned. If people simply repeat the process I am certain every instance of openerp in the world will produce exactly the same response. But that is not the issue. How do you export all your contacts, and then import them to another instance of openerp?

"and then you get the response I mentioned" - what does this mean? "I cannot get it to validate" - what does this mean? Do you get an error message?

Author

...... How do you export all your contacts and re-import them to a different instance of openerp?

Best Answer

It is confusing for a new user. the easiest way to get the customers into a new openerp system is use the "export" as you mentioned. Dont worry about the ID unless you want to import other data that links to the customer. Just select the fields you need (eg, name, street address etc) and then export. You should be able to import it into the new system. 

Otherwise, export directly from the database - you have more control over the fields, but requires some knowledge of how the tables link together.

Give a shout if you need help - gotta support SA developers ;)

Discard