Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Creating a 'type' field for products: Should i reuse 'type', or make a new field?

By
CB
on 3/29/13, 5:24 PM 2,203 views

I have several types of products (boards, cabinets, doors) that we alternately manufacture or sell. I need to add a discriminator field to product.template to specify what type of product we're dealing with.

There is already a field called type on product.template, which has the possible values of product, consu, and service.

To me this field should probably be renamed to inventory_method as it better represents the available choices and results, but that is another debate.

If I wanted to add some choices, I'd rename "Stockable Product" to "General Stocked Product" and add a few more options, like "Door", "Cabinet", etc.

For all these new types i'd like them to be treated as stockable.

Would you recommend creating a new field for this kind of disambiguation, or overriding the type field? Would that be "safe", in that it would not effect other parts of the inventory system?

Maxime Chambreuil
On 4/1/13, 10:51 PM

I would recommend a new field.

Well I was hoping for some elaboration as to why you'd recommend a new field, but alright.

CB
on 4/2/13, 5:47 PM

There is a lot of logic behind this field. I am not sure how the application would behave with a new value.

Maxime Chambreuil
on 4/2/13, 10:05 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 3/29/13, 5:24 PM
Seen: 2203 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM