This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I have several types of products (boards, cabinets, doors) that we alternately manufacture or sell. I need to add a discriminator field to product.template to specify what type of product we're dealing with.

There is already a field called type on product.template, which has the possible values of product, consu, and service.

To me this field should probably be renamed to inventory_method as it better represents the available choices and results, but that is another debate.

If I wanted to add some choices, I'd rename "Stockable Product" to "General Stocked Product" and add a few more options, like "Door", "Cabinet", etc.

For all these new types i'd like them to be treated as stockable.

Would you recommend creating a new field for this kind of disambiguation, or overriding the type field? Would that be "safe", in that it would not effect other parts of the inventory system?

Discard
Best Answer

I would recommend a new field.

Discard
Author

Well I was hoping for some elaboration as to why you'd recommend a new field, but alright.

There is a lot of logic behind this field. I am not sure how the application would behave with a new value.