This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Hi everone,

I just tested a migration of 6.1 to 7 (just the software, not data); and I noticed that the Ubuntu dependencies installed PostgreSQL 9.1, instead of reusing existing 8.4.

Does version 7 really require PostgreSQL 9.1, or what is the reason for such dependency? I have read some posts about performance benefits of using 9.x, but none about functional requirements (like OpenERP using something that is only available in 9.x PostgreSQL versions).

I am mainly asking because, if there is no functional dependency, I would rather keep my PostgreSQL 8.4 for the moment (unsure how to do it, if the packages have the dependency; but I would not mind giving it a try if that is a valid combination).

I think my question would be solved if we had a compatibility matrix between OpenERP and PostgreSQL; actually, other companies use those matrices to "certify" what versions of the RDBMS works fine with each release of the product. Do we have something like that for OpenERP? If not, it may be a good idea to consider ;-|

Thanks in advance.

Discard
Best Answer

The policy at Odoo SA is to develop new versions of Odoo using the current Debian Stable release of the day. That dictates the version of PostgreSQL that is required.

That said, it MAY - or may not - work with previous versions of PostgreSQL. It MAY - and quite probably will - work with later PostgreSQL versions.

The only thing you can count on is : it WILL work with the version that is recommanded - bug appart of course.

Discard
Best Answer

You could just grab the source code http://nightly.openerp.com/7.0/nightly/src/openerp-7.0-latest.tar.gz and connect it to PostgreSQL 8.4.

Personally we're running 9.2. I wouldn't set up a new server with anything prior to 9.x, current query listings are really handy IMO.

Discard
Author

Thank you for the suggestion, that made the trick indeed. I did not realize how isolated the sources package was. I just needed to adjust the configuration file and the startup scripts to point to the relative directory where I installed (that plus adding a few additional setup to my apache, as I am using SSL).

I may try PostgreSQL 9.x later, but since I have other applications that rely on PostgreSQL, I did not really want to touch that for the moment.

We have noticed SIGNIFICANT and MEASURABLE performance differences with every new version of Postgres (major and point releases) with OpenERP/Odoo and I STRONGLY suggest you run the latest version of PostgreSQL possible and/or update as soon as you can.