Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Change Database Master Password

By
Brad Ridgeway
on 10/5/15, 5:04 PM 1,297 views

What is the best way to change the Master Database password?  I inherited this server and was not part of the original install team. Using the database management tool it's not clear which user to select and I get an access denied error as well.

Here is the top half of my .conf file hoping it helps trouble shoot the issue.

Top Half openerp-server.conf file:

addons_path = /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp/addons

admin_passwd = #@%^)(*#

auto_reload = False

csv_internal_sep = ,

data_dir = /var/lib/odoo/.local/share/Odoo

db_host = False

db_maxconn = 64

db_name = False

db_password = False

db_port = False

db_template = template1

db_user = odoo

The master password used by Odoo for administrative purposes is *admin_password*.  This gives you permission to create, backup, restore and delete databases.  If it was changed via the UI, then a file called  $HOME/.openerp_serverrc is created ($HOME refers to the user starting Odoo - usually via a service) and you'll find it there in admin_password. Each database, however, potentially has it's own password that is stored inside the database, often encrypted.

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 10/5/15, 8:41 PM

Changing the master password has nothing to do with any databases. It isn't the same user. By default both logins are 'admin' but this is just a coincidence.

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 10/7/15, 4:14 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 10/5/15, 5:04 PM
Seen: 1297 times
Last updated: 10/7/15, 4:14 PM