This question has been flagged
5 Replies

Hi Forum,

I am trying to create and install a module that I have created in Odoo 11, but to no avail. I have tried a number of things, but nothing seems to work and I suspect this has something to do with permissions. Nonetheless, I am including a description of what I have done.

1. On a virtual Ubuntu 16.04 machine, I have installed Odoo 11 using this script (courtesy of Yenthe), found here https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Yenthe666/InstallScript/11.0/odoo_install.sh

2. Odoo is thus installed in /odoo/odoo-server/. There does not seem to be any issues in running it, the configuration file is in /etc/odoo-server.conf and the addons parth is /odoo/odoo-server/addons

3. i created a new module using scaffold via CLI (I had also tried this without scaffold as well, without any success, but the system does not show any errors, so I have no idea if I am doing anything wrong):

./odoo-bin scaffold -t default <mymodule> /odoo/odoo-server/addons

4. This creates the module in /odoo/odoo-server/addons, which is the path in my /etc/odoo-server.conf file as well

[options]

addons_path = /odoo/odoo-server/addons,/odoo/odoo-server/odoo/addons,/opt/odoo/addons

and all the relevant files, no problems so far. I can see the files there, as per the documentation and I make the necessary changes as per documentation

5. Once done, I go back to my Odoo instance and in Settings, activate developer mode, then update app list, confirm there is an update, go to Apps, remove the default filter, search for the module, then...nothing. I can't seem to find it and I think I have tried everything else which I have found across the Net, namely:

a. creating the module without scaffolding

b. Changing the permissions of the folder and files, using

sudo chown -R odoodev /odoo/odoo-server/addons/<mymodule>

sudo chmod 755 /odoo/odoo-server/addons/<mymodule>

sudo chmod 644 /odoo/odoo-server/addons/<mymodule>

Not sure what else to do...it has been pretty frustrating, as the documentation is limited. Thanks in advance!

Discard

Did you reboot the server? During one of your experiments, the server may have disqualified the module folder as valid - if if that's the case it won't look again until you reboot. You also need to do this after every change in any Python file (as you are developing).

add step 6. restart odoo server

Best Answer

First: Do restart Odoo, if you changed the data model. If it does not help: Did you check the log entries? It can happen that your module is so faulty, that it does not show up in the apps list.

You may also read this thread for further help: https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/odoo-11-ubuntu-16-04-how-to-transfer-custom-or-third-party-apps-to-your-apps-folder-for-dummies-or-lazy-people-127880

Discard
Best Answer

If your addon path is being loaded correctly, as long as there's a python module with __manifest__.py, Odoo should find it.

I had problem finding newly created module due to __manifest__.py being encoded with UTF-8 with BOM.  I use sublime text primarily with an addon that transcode foreign language automatically.  So, upon save it corrupts my __manifest__.py.  Make sure your module folder contains usable __init__.py and __manifest__.py.
Mostly, you would want to use UTF-8 without BOM

Hope this experience is helpful for you to diagnose the problem.  

Discard
Author Best Answer

Many thanks for the responses. I did restart the server (and I confess - I  didn't include a number of other troubleshooting steps that I tried above,)  but it did not solve the problem. In the meantime, I created another virtual environment and installed Odoo 10 and it  worked without any immediate issues. I did look at the log files in the previous environment, I think that the problem may stem from some of the changes I did post-installation.

Discard