This question has been flagged
3 Replies

So.... I have nailed down the problem - just don't see a clear solution at this point.  Here is how I got here.

I have Odoo (OpenERP 7.0-20140622-231040) locally installed on 2 identical servers, using one as a failover.  I have installed a few modules and have entered some data in the system.  Now comes the rub.

After installing a new module, the application locked up the web interface and showed a blank screen, so, of course I ended up reinstalling the odoo application to recover.  After the reinstall, I had access again to the system, but cannot create, drop, restore, or backup the database.  The latest backup works fine on the second server as does the database management of it.

I have verified the system master password in the openerp-server.conf file to make sure it had not changed. 

Without doing a complete removal and reinstallation,  can anyone shine a bit of light on this issue?

Discard

Check that there are no idle PostgreSQL processes.

Can you connenct to postgresql database via its client, like pgadmin iii, with postgres role?

Author

I am having no problems with pgAdminIII access to the database. I have full admin level functionality. I have the issue nailed down to needing to COMPLETELY uninstalling (to include Registry Entries) prior to attempting a reinstall, then having all modules manually downloaded into the addons folder after the installation completes. The restored dataset will scan for updates, but does not seem to scan and install from the cloud for the initial module install.

Best Answer

What Quentin says, logs would be handy.

You did not mention how you "reinstalled" the odoo application? In my opinion it was only required to restart the server at most. In my 4 years of development I had never had to reinstall the application once. It is very rare to have some code being infected just after you installed it, provided you never modified it yourself in the proces.

Not being able to delete or otherwise manipulate the databases sounds to me like you have no (or insufficient) access rights to the postgres database.  Did you reinstall using another system user that is currently not in the postgres configuration? If that is not the case, change the postgres password to something else and see if that works.

Also I could not find if you are working on a Windows or *Nix based system. If windows then I assume some other expert should look at it.

Discard
Best Answer

Did you have some logs on the server ? Most of the time, problems are logged into OpenERP server log file.

Discard
Author Best Answer

For Reference:

Both Systems are

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Intel Xeon E5-2420 @ 1.9GHz 1.9 GHz

24Gig RAM  - 64bit OS x64 processor

By "reinstalling"  I meant that I ran the uninstall application located [C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 7.0-20140622-231040].  After the uninstall, I uninstalled the PostgreSQL database, and the Apache web server. 

I then scrubbed down the registry as indicated by an older article [http://www.windowsuninstaller.org/winuninstall/how-to-remove-open-erp-5-0-6-guide-open-erp-5-0-6-uninstaller-info.html] to allow me to reinstall the postgres server component as part of the install.  If you don't clean the windows registry out, the install database component is disabled.  Basically took the system back to MS Server 2012 R2. 

All of this was a true test in futility, as it reinstalled and ran identically each time th application/database/webserver was installed.  As a result, on the 5th, or 20th attempt(it's a bit of a blur after a while) I decided it must be an operator malfunction.  It seems that if you are hosting your own installation, you have to download all of the modules you are using and place them in the addons folder manually [C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenERP 7.0-20140622-231040\Server\server\openerp\addons]

For Beginner Reference Apps are the same thing as Modules here, it's just that if you are operating on the cloud, you refer to them as "Apps"  if you are hosting the install, they are "Modules"

So,  the reason things were not working is that the original configuration and setup was done when the server was logged into the odoo.com account, and downloaded as an App into my setup.  When you perform a backup, and restore to another local setup, it does not go out and log into the App area.  it is wanting the modules to be in the local system. (Or that is the way it seems to be functioning)

Also, I have found that in some of the installed modules it installs "Web GUI Improvement" in the ir.modules.modules table.  This has consistantly removed the filter (Filter and Dashboard) from the interface.  Once I mark the "Web GUI Improvement" as uninstalled, the Filter/Dashboard reappears and is totally functional.  This is identified as a version 7.0.2.0 module.

Discard