This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I am new to OpenERP and have several clients waiting for me to develop an industry specific ERP solution. I would like to use OpenERP but I am struggling to find the best way to structure my offering. I want to configure and customize the initial set-up to be the same for each client without repeating it on several databases. Yet I would like each client to have their own DB.

Multi-Company set up seems to use one database for multiple clients, which scares me because IF I have an issue with that database all my clients would be down for the duration and possibly all data lost! Scary scenario.

So if some of you OpenERP guru's could suggest the best way to go, I would very much appreciate it.. I'm sure there has to be a way to duplicate the database set-up with all modules installed, I just can't find it.

Discard
Best Answer

1) From the login page, click Manage Databases

2) Use the Duplicate menu

image description

Note: The multi-company feature's purpose is for companies that are part of the same group and are sharing specific information with each other (eg. customers list or accounting information for consolidation). Therefore, they need to be in the same database and a "Company" field will exist on records to specify whether a record belongs to one company or another. If the companies you are dealing with are completely independent, you will want to have a different database for each of them.

Discard
Author Best Answer

A simple way to duplicate your database to look like the initial one and with all the same modules will be for you to not all the modules you have installed in the initial database (this can be done by going to Settings>>Modules and select clear first then select Installed). Write all this modules here down. Export your database normally and save it somewhere (usb flash disc, external hard drive etc) you can restore on any new OpenERP application then load the same modules you noted from the initial database. some feature might not copy over like user password so you may have to redo those

Discard