This question has been flagged
1 Reply

Good morning everybody,

I must say that the bank statements in Odoo 8 are wonderful. Reconciliation would be really easy and perfect if ...

----------------
SCENARIO

• Go in : Accounting -> Bank statements
  • Create two monthly bank statements for two different bank accounts X and W : statementX and statementW.
  • During this month, a transfer of 100 $ from account X to  account W.
  • In the statement statementX, I credit 100 $ (a transaction of -100 $) and I reconciled with the bank account that is automatically debited of 100 $. That is wonderfull!
  • So now, the transfer of 100 $ is already balanced and reconciled. The accounting entries are ok.
  • I now open the statementW. HEU ????? How could I close this bank statement ??? If I create a new line in the statement, and I reconciled, everything will DOUBLE. So a transfer of 200 $. IMPOSSIBLE to import accounting entries already reconciled in the bank statement.
  • In the statementW, I would want to import the accounting records of the transaction already created by the closure of the statementX. But I think it's impossible to do.

---------------------------

Should I use a third-party account (buffer) that would reconcile and close the two statements? Other solutions?

How do you treat transfers between bank accounts while being able CLOSE bank statements?

Thank you for your comments.

Discard
Best Answer

If you mistakenly reconcile entries, you can unreconcile them using Accounting >> Journal Entries >> Journal Items menu.  Select the journal item you wan to unreconcile, then from the More button, select Unreconcile Entries.

I'm not really sure how you can go about resolving the accounting entries as it will be dependant on the accounting rules of your country and I'm not well versed with Canada's accounting rule.  I would advise you to seek guidance from accounting experts.

I'll explain how an interbank transfer need to be recorded in my country.  You need to have another account for interbank transfer (let's name it I).  Something like money in transit.  For the transfer from X, create a journal from bank account X into I, reconcile it.  For the transfer W, create a journal from I to bank account W, reconcile it.  Account I will became the checking account of unbalanced transfer, because it's balance shold be 0 if all transfers are balanced.

Discard
Author

I absolutely agree with you! Thanks for your answer.

My pleasure Pascal.

Has anyone developed a method for X to W transfer without the need for I? I don't want the extra steps. I want to record one journal entry when moving funds from Bank to PayPal for instance. I can't though because Odoo will only let one Journal grab the reconciliation. When I try to reconcile from the other journal, it says I can't because that item is already reconciled.