This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Goal : Understanding how to override a default module using a custom module. For demonstration/testing purposes I tried to implement an example custom module that will override the 'web' module in order to modify the login screen & remove/replace the 'manage databases' link.

Odoo Version: odoo V8 saas-5 (on an ubutnu server)

Here is how I tried to implement an example custom module (without any success):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I created a directory /opt/odoo/custom/addons for my custom modules
  2. There I created a subdirectory named e.g. my_module containing these files:
    __init__.py
    __openerp__.py
    views/webclient_templates.xml
  3. In my /etc/odoo-server.conf I added (I really had doubts about this, please comment on this)
    addons_path=/opt/odoo/odoo-server/addons,/opt/odoo/odoo-server/openerp/addons,/opt/odoo/custom/addons

Here is the content of the above files

__init__.py I left this empty since when I tried 'import base' or 'import web' the server did not work at all and I found in the log file the message 'ImportError: No module named base' or 'ImportError: No module named web'

__openerp__.py
{
        'name': 'rmvmngdbs',
        'version': '0.1',
        'summary': 'Testing...',
        'author': 'George',
        'depends': ["base"],
        'qweb' : [ "views/webclient_templates.xml", ],
        'installable': True,
        'auto_install': True,
        'active': True,
}
# vim:expandtab:smartindent:tabstop=4:softtabstop=4:shiftwidth=4:

static/src/xml/base.xml
<templates>
    <!-- Templates modified at the web start, before loading of a database. -->

<!-- Remove the Manage database link, but keep the Powered by OpenERP-->
    <t t-extend="Login">
        <t t-jquery="a.oe_login_manage_db" t-operation="replace">
            <div>&nbsp;</div>
        </t>
    </t>
</templates>

The module is loaded and installed without any problem but it doesn't work.

The final question(s)

How can I make the above module work as expected ? Can you understand where is the problem? What is the right way to override the web module (or any other module) with a custom module?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Openerp 7 here is what I did (and it worked):
------------------------------------------------

1. I created a directory /opt/openerp/custom_modules for my custom modules
  2. There I created a subdirectory named e.g. my_module containing these files:
    __init__.py
    __openerp__.py
    static/src/xml/base.xml
  3. In my /etc/openerp-server.conf I added
    addons_path = /opt/openerp/server/openerp/addons, /opt/openerp/custom_modules

Here is the content of the above files

__init__.py
import base

__openerp__.py
{
        'name': 'rmvmngdbs',
        'version': '0.1',
        'summary': 'Testing...',
        'author': 'George',
        'depends': ["base"],
        'qweb' : [ "static/src/xml/base.xml", ],
        'installable': True,
        'auto_install': True,
        'active': True,
}
# vim:expandtab:smartindent:tabstop=4:softtabstop=4:shiftwidth=4:

static/src/xml/base.xml
<templates>
    <!-- Templates modified at the web start, before loading of a database. -->

<!-- Remove the Manage database link, but keep the Powered by OpenERP-->
    <t t-extend="Login">
        <t t-jquery="div.oe_login_footer" t-operation="replace">
            <div class="oe_login_footer">
                <a href="http://www.openerp.com" target="_blank">Powered by <span>OpenERP</span></a>
            </div>
        </t>
    </t>
</templates>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Links and info

I found that the file that controls the login screen view in odoo v8 is inside the web module in
addons/web/views/webclient_templates.xml ( for openerp 7 it is addons/web/static/src/xml/base.xml )
so if I modify this file and then 'upgrade' the web module, it works but these changes will be lost with the next update.

http://superuser.com/questions/770232/how-do-i-remove-links-that-appear-on-the-login-page-of-openerpodoo
https://www.odoo.com/forum/Help-1/question/How-to-override-the-web-module-by-custom-module-21146
https://www.odoo.com/forum/Help-1/question/How-to-remove-Manage-Databases-2615
https://www.odoo.com/forum/Help-1/question/Creating-a-module-53357

About: I'm studying how Odoo works hoping that some day I'll be able to contribute to the project.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discard

I haven't tried to modify the 'web' module personally, but here are some things that may help: Your __openerp__.py file looks good, but I would change 'depends' to ['base', 'web'] if you are trying to modify the web module. The __init__.py contains the names (excluding file type extensions) of all the python files contained in your module. It doesn't look like you have created a main python file, but you will probably need one depending on what kinds of modifications you are making. If it is just a change to the view you should be able to modify things in the .xml file alone. To override existing modules, you need to inherit the class/view of the module you are trying to modify. Code looks terrible in this comment field, so I will give you a couple examples in an answer below.

Best Answer

Here is an example of inheritance in an xml (view) file, which is modifying the product form:

<record id="product_normal_form_view" model="ir.ui.view">

<field name="model">product.product</field>

<field name="inherit_id" ref="product.product_normal_form_view"/>

<field name="arch" type="xml">

<field name="list_price" position="after">

<field name="x_EC_desc"/>

<field name="x_EC_num"/>

</field>

<field name="default_code" position="after">

<field name="x_spec_menu"/>

<field name="x_cust_desc"/>

<field name="x_cust_num"/>

</field>

</field>

</record>

Here is the python code where I created the custom fields I am adding to the product form that are referenced in the xml:

class ec_products(osv.Model):

_inherit = 'product.product'

_columns = {

'x_EC_desc': fields.char('Electrochem Desc', size=64),

'x_EC_num': fields.char('Electrochem Part #', size=64, select=True),

'x_cust_desc': fields.char('Customer Desc', size=64),

'x_cust_num': fields.char('Customer Part #', size=64),

'x_spec_menu': fields.selection((('Blue Print','Blue Print'),('Black Print', 'Black Print'),('Yellow Print','Yellow Print')),'Specification'),

}

Hope that helps clarify things a little, I don't have time right now to look into the web module specifically. Also I am not sure if this is a v8 thing (I am working in v7) but I have a field 'data': ['ec_prod_view.xml'] in my __openerp__.py file that points to the view changes. Not sure if 'qweb' in your code is accomplising the same thing.

Discard
Best Answer

You have to create a new module with a view to inherit from `web.login_layout` template from `web/views/webclient_templates.xml`. More details in this question : https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/how-we-removing-link-that-appear-on-login-page-of-openerp-odoo-54623

Discard