This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Hi,

I've seen this question - or similar - asked a few times but I'm struggling to get any of the suggestions to work.

I need to buy products in cases of 24 (or 6, 12 or 20 depending on the product - but let's stick to 24 here) and then sell them in 1's, 6's, 12's or 24's etc

I need these to be product variants so the shopper can choose on the product page. And all purchases need to deduct from the same stock-taking item.

As I say, I've tried a few methods but I can't seem to get any to work.

I have Units of Measure set up with a base unit of Bottle, a case of 6 (6 * bottle reference unit), case of 12 (12 * reference unit) and case of 24 (24 * reference unit).

When I think I'm getting it working, I hit on a problem where  a change to one variant is affecting the others - in particular stockable vs consumable (I'm making the case of 24 stockable with a buy route, and the rest consumable with a manufacture/make to order route - then trying to set up BoMs), and also the units of measure setting  (if I change a variant to 1 bottle, all the others are now 1 too)?

Presumably I am doing something totally incorrect and/or just don't understand it properly.

I'm also a bit unsure about setting up the BoMs. If I want the Purchase Unit to be a case of 24, but I want to keep the stock at bottle level, is there a built-in way to say eg 498 bottles in stock (20.75 cases) or 498 bottles in stock (20 cases and 18 bottles) or is this something I'd have to create/amend a template for.

Or is it best to use the purchase cases as the stock-taking unit? But then how do I set up the UoM based on the case of 24?

The Wine By The Glass PDF that has been mentioned here a few times talks about having the 750ml bottle as the stock-taking unit, and the glasses a fraction, ie a 250ml glass is 0.33 of the 750ml unit. But if I were to use a case of 24 as the stock-taking unit, a bottle would be 0.041666 - would that work? Would it round up correctly? It seems a strange way to do it rather than use the bottle as the base unit and say 6*, 12*, 24* etc.

Sorry, hope that makes sense. I've spent the last two days trying various things and getting a bit frustrated and lost at something that seems like it should be quite straight-forward.

Any pointers/help very much appreciated.

Thanks

Discard

Did you ever figure this out, I know it's been a long time ago, But i have the same issue now and can't find the fix yet

Author Best Answer

Sorry for wanting to explain my question in detail. I did that so I didn't have to write 5 replies to clarify it. The instructions on how to post say 

• Provide enough details and, if possible, give an example

It also says not to say Hi, but sorry, that's not how I write. This is a forum, not an IRC channel. How putting Hi at the start or Thanks at the end is a problem, God only knows. 

When I moved back to Odoo from another system, with a very friendly community, I was assured it was very friendly here too... I didn't expect to have my head bitten off for asking a question...

Anyway, back to the question.

Perhaps it's me, but I can't find a solution to my situation in the document that was suggested. If anyone can help that'd be great.

The link to the UoM docs doesn't mention product variants on the website. That is the key bit that I cannot get working.

If I duplicate products as mentioned in the wine pdf, they are duplicated - so I end up with 4 products on the web site.

If, instead, I simply add attributes for the quantity, Odoo creates the product variants as I'd expect, and one product shows up on the web site as I want (with a drop down select box for the quantity). 

But I can't find out how to tell Odoo that one variant is selling 1 bottle, one is selling 6 etc.

If I try to edit any of the individual variants settings (UoM or Product Type), it changes all the variants.

Apologies if I have missed something in that document but I can't find where it explains this.

Thanks

Discard

The strict forum rules are necessary not because wanting to be unfriendly, but because it is not possible to give more than one answer. It is not a discussion forum, therefore conciseness is really needed.

Author

Ok, well that's a shame. What's the logic in this? The url has /forum/ in it. Is there another active site where it's possible to ask questions and get more than one answer? It doesn't seem a very good way to engage people in the community. Thanks for giving me the karma to reply (I presume it was you Ermin).

Best Answer

Please do write less text and try to be concise in your thoughts.

1. As far as your description is understandable, your stockkeeping unit will never be a case, but a bottle.

2. Your example seems to exactly match the Odoo documentation: https://www.odoo.com/documentation/user/10.0/inventory/settings/products/uom.html

3. You don't need BoMs because you do not have convert between different measure types (such as bottles (=units) and glass (= volume)).

Discard