This question has been flagged

Postgresql has released RC1 for Postgresql 9.4:

http://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1555/

and are expecting to release a GM within Dec 2014/Jan 2015 as far as I can tell from their website. I have been running a development machine on Postgresql 9.4 (dev branch) with Odoo 8.0 for awhile now and have not noticed any issues with Odoo's functionality due to the database.

My question is will Postgresql 9.4 be officially endorsed/compatible with Odoo 8.0/Master? I'm interested in installing a development machine for testing as soon as the GM is released to the public as it offers better perforance than the 9.3 version and has a huge number of other features that could be utilised by developers in Odoo implementations.

From what I can tell from the development branch I have been testing on there is no compatibility issues, however it would be great to have an official statement from Odoo as to whether 9.4 will be supported in 8.0/Master once the GM is released.

Discard
Author

[UPDATE]: Postgresql 9.4 GM has been officially released. I will be deploying it on development servers to gauge compatibility, however I see no reason why it would not be compatible with Odoo 8.0/Master. Here's a link to the announcement: http://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1557/ It would be great to know if Odoo 8.0/Master will officially be supported on PostgreSQL 9.4, as i'm sure many will want to deploy it in production for better efficiency and performance.

Author

[UPDATE]: I've been testing extensively for a few days now and have not found any obvious incompatibilities at this point in time. I'd recommend running pgtune according to Theirry Godin's explanation here: https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/how-to-tune-postgresql-for-openerp-v7-production-environment-25326 You can just run the following commands: 1) sudo apt-get install pgtune 2) sudo pgtune -i /etc/postgresql/9.4/main/postgresql.conf -o pgsql.conf I have found that with postgresql 9.4 and pgtune running the Odoo server is very quick even on a low end box with no extra performance tweaks. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has been testing this and whether or not they have run into any issues along the way.

Have you done any performance tests with timings or something Luke? I'm rather curious about 9.4 too, even small improvements in speed are worth it to me. I'll probably give it a try this week.

Author

@Yenthe, I have not yet done any proper benchmarks beyond some basic page load time tests, but the interface is noticeably more responsive/quicker as well as some standard functions like module installation/update. When I can find some time I will try to put together some basic performance benchmarks between 9.3 and 9.4. Please post back and let me know how you get on when you decide to do some testing yourself and i'll do likewise.

@Luke have you done any further testing or benchmarking? I haven't gotten to it yet but I'm thinking about including it in my Ubuntu servers for better performances..

Author

@Yenthe, Unfortunately not yet. I will be on the road for most of this month attending trade shows in Hong Kong. With that being said, with your experience are there any KPI's in particular that you are interested in?

@Luke ahh too bad to hear, although that is a good thing for you! I'm especially curious about the query speed and if the bandwith has also dropped, since they now use json which should be smaller and faster. A third thing, but this comes from the others, is the overal loading speed of Odoo. Any improvement in speed & efficiency is a plus to me.

Best Answer

I guess there will be no problem with new versions of poestgres database , because odoo  does not use advaces psql functions that comes with new versions.. It works on 9.2 and 9.3 flowless, and upgrading to 9.4 or any future version will change nothing... 

No need to worry about new versions of db.. just use it...

will work fine

Discard

In theory you're right and everything should work like a charm.. but there are a lot of tables and fields in Odoo which increases the risk of something going wrong though. I wouldn't want to hop over to a new version of your database without testing. Imagine the consequences of missing one little thing that ruins everything!

Well, one thing is compatability with odoo and creating new databases, complete different thing is migrating existing database to new version od postgres... Done both , worked like a charm.. For new features in 9.4 you can check here : https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/What's_new_in_PostgreSQL_9.4 basicly, it only extends pgsql functions... so whenever you look at postgres official documentation make sure you are looking at correct version that is all ... no worries about compatability issues with future versions of database

Hmm interesting.. have you noticed any performance improvements or faster loading of Odoo when you want to 9.4?

until now i have only migrated dbs from 9.2 to 9.3 , and i did it only when i needed gis layers wich if far better (not to mention only working from 9.3 upwards) with such data.. Havent done any serios performance testing yet, and hopefully won't :) in order to test it i should have relativly large db set on old and new version ( migrate to new from old) and only then the tests would be relevant... on the other hand odoo does not make any realy large sql querries, or manage some huge datasets at once.. it works with a lot of small querries so i do not thing that it would show big difference in performance betewwn versions... offcourse, you can allways twek db performance, regardless of version..

Best Answer

Since I've been testing with postgreSQL 9.3 and 9.4 a lot the last days I decided it is time for me to write out a comment.

The question about if 9.4 will be officialy added to Odoo 8 (or maybe 9) as compatible I'm not sure. At this point nobody can say this because this is something Odoo will need to decide and they should release the choice to the public.
I'd think they would first need to do intensive testing for this and also look at speeds. Then there is a second option: will they choose to say that it is supported or will they choose to say this is the preffered version. This will all come down to performance probably.

And because performance is they key I've been testing a bit around with Odoo. I'vet setup two identical machines with identical databases. The only difference is that one version runs postgreSQL V9.3 and one runs postgreSQL V9.4.
To test this I've simply installed half a dozen of modules, added some data in it and simply tested both versions with timers.
The result was a bit dissapointing though. Turned out V9.3 was a tiny bit faster than V9.4.. As you can see in this graph:

The times are in seconds and as you can see every time there was just a silght difference, four out of five times in favour of V9.3.
Despite that V9.3 and V9.4 barely having a difference I do seem to notice better performance when you click on menu items etc.
It seems that V9.4 is slightly faster with loading data when the user clicks through items and does menu-actions. But I'm not sure how I could prove that in statistics as it takes milliseconds really.

In terms of compatibility it seems that postgreSQL V9.4 is fully compatible with Odoo V8. I've tested a few databases, options, reloads, ... and nothing seemed wrong. So I assume we will need to wait for an official statement from Odoo about this but I see no reason why they wouldn't be officially compatible.

Update: Because I saw that Luke added a comment about the tuning on your postgreSQL (as seen in this topic: https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/how-to-tune-postgresql-for-openerp-v7-production-environment-25326) I decided to give this a try too. After implementing these modifications I experienced a slight speed increase. Every Odoo restart with a full update of all modules would win me between 3 to 6 seconds. While this is a not a gigantic difference it could perhaps help other people that are in a huge environment.

Discard

good job Yenthe : ) so point prooven.. no big difference.. miliseconds are not human noticable... it can make small diff on realy large sclae db but... most ppl wont have the chance to notice any difference regarding speed

Thanks Bole! Sadly the differences seem to be about miliseconds indeed. Atleast in the fact of updating modules and with one user etc. The only option there could be left is that 9.4 would perform better when a lot of users or db's are used at once. But testing this and setting up an environment goes a bit too far for me honestly. Its not worth the possible minor differences to me. It could indeed make a little difference on a large scale db but for the average Odoo user / developer I do not see any plus side for going to V9.4..