This question has been flagged
5 Replies

We are running the 6.0.3 server with a bunch of modules + modules we have created our self.

We are now thinking of upgrading. Should we upgrade to 6.1 or 7.0?

Are there big system changes from 6.0.3 -> 6.1 or 6.0 -> 7.0 that will force us to rewrite our modules.

Are there any tools for migrating data from one version to another or can I reuse my databases?

Discard
Best Answer

As there definitely are big system changes in major OpenERP versions you have got three options:

1. Pay for OpenERP Enterprise ( https://www.openerp.com:443/pricing ) where OpenERP s.a. will upgrade your database and modules for you.

2. Try the community approach: the OpenUpgrade project (https:// openupgrade-server.readthedocs.org). Beware that there is no substancial work done for upgrading from 6.1 to 7.0; 6.0 to 6.1 should be working quite well as far as I know.

3. Export all your data using csv, adjust them and import again on the new version after you manually adjusted your modules.

Discard
Best Answer

GRAP migrated last week from OpenERP 6.1 to OpenERP 7.0 with OpenUpgrade with a large perimeter (accounting, stock, sale, purchase, HR) and they had a very positive experience. Please read Sylvain's feedback here :

(https:) answers.launchpad.net/openupgrade-server/+question/239250 (sorry, my karma is not high enough to post links).

I visited GRAP last Tuesday and I can confirm that their OpenERP v7 system is working well after their OpenUpgrade ! :)

@Jay Connors You criticize OpenUpgrade and you say you had "a lot of headache", but I don't see any bug report on OpenUpgrade from you. Could you point us to the bugs you found when using OpenUpgrade ? What were the exact problems that you experienced ? Could you ask your "software Engineer" to give some details in this thread about the problem he faced. Otherwise, you post is just some FUD against OpenUpgrade...

Discard

Alexis, GRAP is one of the main author/contributor of openupgrade. So, of course it works for them as they invested development time to make it work for their own need. The real question is how much development, test, install did it take for them. I am pretty sure it's more expensive than OpenERP Enterprise if you take into account the time you have to invest for the migration.

Best Answer

Hi, I agree with Fabien. We spent more time working on OpenUpgrade than paying an OpenERP Enterprise licence.( This year but we plan to have twice more users the next year, so I think that for the V8, it will be "cheaper" working on OpenUpgrade in our case)

Just two remarks :

A/ "It works for their own need". It's not totally correct, the work on OpenUpgrade that we (Therp, GRAP & others) did can be reused by other people they want to migrate databases with the same modules. Of course it's not perfect, maybe there is some bugs but all people can do Merge Proposal and report bugs to do it better. It's a community project.

B/ When I worked on OpenUpgrade project, I spent a lot of time of course, but I learned a lot of thinks too : How 6.1 works, how 7.0 works, what are the changes, (and why) ? It's not only "lost time". It's just like reading all the docs about "what's new in the V7?" It's very interesting.

So I think that solution 1 (pay OPW) and solution 2 (work on OpenUgrapde) are not antagonist but complementary.

My two cents. Sylvain LE GAL / GRAP.

Discard
Best Answer

I would deffer from @jay connors' opinion, if you know how to use OpenUpgrades and little bit of process how changes are going to be applied to your database, there is no better alternative than OpenUpgrade, I am saying this from my personal experience, as we have migrated many of our customer using v6.0 till v7.0 using it. All are now in Live mode and using OpenERP without a problem. So better not to judge a solution if it doesn't work for you. All solutions doesn't come as a perfect one, specially in open source, it's the contributors who make it possible.

For small businesses, I would suggest to go for OPW, as it will be a peace of mind with things coming easy. For module migrations, it's always DIY or pay to some integrator who can do that.

Cheers, Parthiv

Discard
Best Answer

Stay away from openupgrade... it is not supported and even for 6.0-6.1 you will find out that there is a lot of bugs and there is not support for it. I had my software Engineer migrate my instance and in the end it was just a lot of headache... I later decided to take the OpenERP Enteprise to do the migration, and OpenERP migrate it in a few days, it worked like a charm. We migrated to version 7 and had a great experience towards the migration and any bug the resulted from migration. My down time was minimum, almost zero. My business is too important for to try to cut corners...

Discard