By default, your Odoo Online instance and website have a .odoo.com domain name, for both the URL and the emails. But you can change to a custom one (e.g. www.yourcompany.com).
What is a good domain name
Your website address is as important to your branding as the name of your business or organization, so put some thought into changing it for a proper domain. Here are some tips:
- Simple and obvious
- Easy to remember and spell
- The shorter the better
- Avoid special characters
- Aim for a .com and/or your country extension
Read more: How to Choose a Domain Name for Maximum SEO
How to buy a domain name
Buy your domain name at a popular registrar:
How to apply my domain name to my Odoo instance
First let's authorize the redirection (yourcompany.com -> yourcompany.odoo.com):
- Open your Odoo.com account from your homepage.
- Go to the Manage Databases page.
- Click on Domains to the right of the database you would like to redirect.
- A database domain prompt will appear. Enter your custom domain (e.g. www.yourcompany.com).
We can now apply the redirection from your domain name's manager account:
- Log in to your account and search for the DNS Zones management page.
- Create a CNAME record www.yourdomain.com pointing to mywebsite.odoo.com. If you want to use the naked domain (e.g. yourdomain.com), you need to redirect yourdomain.com to www.yourdomain.com.
How to enable SSL (HTTPS) for my Odoo instance
Until recently, Odoo users needed to use a third-party CDN service provider such as CloudFlare to enable SSL.
It is not required anymore: Odoo generates the certificate for you automatically, using integration with Let's Encrypt Certificate Authority and ACME protocol. In order to get this, simply add your domain name in your customer portal (a separate certificate is generated for each domain name specified).
If you already use CloudFlare or a similar service, you can keep using it or simply change for Odoo. The choice is yours.