Community mailing list archives
Re: Odoo / Python 3by
Also, and backed up by efficiency and speed argument, should be annexed to this discussion the quest for making Odoo pypy compatible. There has been attempts or at least good intentions recorded from Odoo and Community, but it does not seem a prio in the moment.
I personally feel, the responsiveness still is deficient in some terms in order to claim state of the art (and what customers expect or will expect in the near future).
For 50 minutes, I did some search and followed this page to convert the code to be compatible with python3.4 and here is my story:Installation:Conversion:
- I downloaded the most updated version of Odoo from Github.
- A new 'virtualenv' was created and contained only python3.4'.
- The command 'pip3.4 install -r requirements' told me many times that the packages in the file are not founded, so I tried to find it manually.
- the package 'pydot' should be 'pydot2'.
- the package 'python-ldap' should be 'python3-ldap'.
- the package 'jcconv' is not found at all.Conclusion:
- I ran the package '2to3' to automate the conversion process with no luck.==> this package can be installed on fedora "sudo yum install python-tools".The horrible question is: "ARE WE STUCK WITH PYTHON 2.7?"
- Converting Odoo to work with python3 is not easy at all as you need to convert all missing dependencies to python3 as a first step. OR we should wait for the python community to fix this.
- Then, we will go for converting Odoo code to fit python3.
- The main problem with python3 is you can not depend on it to build a sensitive app like Odoo.
You may want to see this project and its website where you can find a link for a demo. The good point in this project is that it is using Django that using the most updated version of python per each release.Thank you :)On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 12:36 AM, Mohamed Magdy <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:Hi Zahid,
I am very keen to hear from Odoo SA too. I had the same question as yours and I could not find a good answer for their situation to use Python 2.7 instead of Python 3.x.
I think I will invest more time to find an answer.rgrdsHi communityI hope someone from Odoo SA is reading this. So we can get some answers. or at least their official opinion about the topic.Python 3 is here since 2008. but Odoo is still in the old 2.7. All major libs on wich Odoo depends are in v3. And major linux dists have python 3 as default, this taken alone will ease Odoo deployement tasks.
So is there any roadmap to migrate to python 3 for Odoo 10 ? how Community can contribute ?