Community mailing list archives
Re: Raw data for zip codes (by
Sales and Marketing Director, XPANSA Logistics | ERP, BI, E-commerce, Data Mining and DMS consulting
/// mail : email@example.com
/// skype : epinter
On 4 Sep 2015, at 10:44, OpenFire <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
Good stuff to share.
We have done a module with the following features ... only for French zip codes at this time :
- Load zip codes and city in a dédicated table + GPS coordinates for the city
- Autocompletion of zip or city : as soon as you type in a part of zip code or city name, we retrieve the matching values
- GPS coordinates : if we get correct coordinates from Google maps with the full adress of the partner, we store them
otherwise we use the coordinates of the city (default value).
This information is open source, we got the zip codes and cities from INSEE, french public organization for statistics.
We have not yet published this module (time problem!) but we are ok to share it on Github.
Let me know if you are interested by this module.
I have csv files for the following concepts:
- Full French zip codes (linked to city and state)
- Full American zip codes (id.)
- Partial Chinese zip codes (I will have somebody from my team format it and push to the Chinese localization)
- States/country for any country in the world (high level)
I was wondering if anybody would be interested and how I could share them.
I was thinking about uploading the csv file (they are clean but raw and need treatment for import) directly in the repo: https://github.com/OCA/community-data-files/
(Please let me know how: should I create a directory 'Zip Codes' or 'data'?)
I am quite sure these data are open source but I have not trace of licensing on them (I legally found them years ago on the Internet without paying anything).
If any volunteer (eg: from the French or American localization) would like to transform them in a module with import script or xml files then it would ease future import. Still I think they can be of interest for anybody as is.
Looking forward to you
Eric Caudal (from my mobile)