Community mailing list archives
Re: Odoo v9 Community and Enterprise editionsby
2015-05-09 12:22 GMT-05:00 Ana Juaristi <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
At the end... Fabien is asking community to change our modules license to LGPL to make again compatible all ecosystem... so.. are we again at starting point? Why not make enterprise modules AGPL + NDA???????? Wouldn't it be easier?
Fabien is saying, trying to managing the information simplistic.
- LGPL module can not be extended by an AGPL module without convert itself (the extension) in a Problem to put free the code of the core, cases:
- Module Odoo Community extended by an AGPL ones. No problem at the end all is free.
- Module Odoo Enterprise extended by an AGPL module. No problem AGPL talk about put free the module to users, it have 2 variants.
- It is a module website?: develop the extension LGPL (the new one) Problem solved.
- It is a backend Module?: develop the extension AGPL no problem the extension can be free for the user or to everybody, what you can not do is put freely available the original one.
- Contribution directly to the core (Enterprise), you will need to buy an enterprise if you want to have access to the enterprise version ( I do not know the details ) but it is the same that when you closely develop something for a customer and the customer pay to you and you mantain private everything, the module is private, but opnsource to your customer, It is exactly the same but you are the customer this time, your customers give you feedback that help you to improve your module, Right? it is the same, you will give feedback to odoo.
- Contribute to the Community version: Just like today.
I can not see any other case, but basically, today it is happening almost on this way.
Here the only problem I see is that this change is lmaking legitim all those leechers which do not open them development, but at the end of the day, you and me and majority understand the power of develop under open standards, it is a matter of personal decisions.
I hope it helps.