Community mailing list archives

Re: Odoo inventory management mobile app

OpenERP Master
- 02/17/2015 04:05:20

We do not use windows mobile 6. The dolphin 7800 comes in both Windows and Android models. The Android model has a built in free HTML5 browser. I would not focus on any specific device here. I mentioned it as an example. The specific hardware is not a requirement. The only requirement is that the device can scan, and supports HTML5. You are correct that windows mobile is a piece of junk and I would not recommend it to anyone. In fact, I would strongly recommend against any windows device. Also, the ie browser is terribly antiquated. Actually, the market in these devices is really far behind. Enterprise in mobile devices means expensive and old. A lot of mobile applications today in enterprise software will use some windows 3.1 app or dos terminal emulation, really really old stuff. We spent a month just looking at mobile devices that are suitable, affordable, and support modern browser.

On your point of the standard Odoo interface, this is a forms based application which isn't suitable for directing work, although with 8 it's starting to get better. I think it's somewhat laughable to suggest using the odoo interface for work out on the floor. The needs for a person on the go is so much different than what a desktop application does, which is why there is so much chatter out there about a different approach for a mobile application. This in itself can be a long discussion, so id like not to focus on the specifics of that. I did mention this briefly in previous threads.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 2:47 AM, Lionel Sausin <> wrote:
Le 16/02/2015 22:22, OpenERP Master a écrit :
> Our approach is to develop a linux based server application. Most 
> hardware devices today that come with an integrated scanner already 
> have a browser plugin that can scan without any development. Some 
> devices even come with HTML5 ready browsers. Example is dolphin 7800, 
> Intermec, or some bluetooth scanner for iphone/ipod.
> Developing a server app will work on any device that supports HTML5 so 
> this already eliminates a significant amount of work.
> We actually already have a prototype. I am thinking about releasing 
> some screens shortly. Will keep you updated.
I'm no expert in this kind of development but indeed this is the road I 
would chose too.
However, Odoo ALREADY has "web" views especially designed for stock 
workers in v8.
Is there a reason why you would start a parallel work and not base it on 
the standard we all share?
To be clear, I for one will NOT invest in a product that is not based on 
the standard UNLESS there is a very compelling reason to do so - no 
matter if it's closed or open source, free or non-free.

On the hardware side, at the moment the offers on the market are pathetic.
Most devices are technological dinosaurs. For example Dolphin 7800 you 
write about has Windows mobile 6.5 from 2008 with IE6! If investing in 
expensive stuff, I'd rather have something not already obsolete.
Most Iphones/Android devices are too fragile and the battery dies too 
fast. Rugged Android don't have a scanner. Bluetooth readers are a PITA 
- you spend your time pairing/unpairing/pairing again.
Do you know of affordable, rugged devices with a scanner and a reliable 
modern browser that lets us access the scanner in a standard way (ie. 
without ActiveX or Java  junk)?

Post to: