This question has been flagged
2 Replies

My company sells and rents industrial and laboratory scales. We are trying to understand possible solutions for setting up our products.

We need to be able to distinguish between quantities of new vs. rentals of the same item, and know which serial numbers are for new items vs. rentals. If I tick the box "Can be rented," will Odoo automatically make all the serial numbers in stock selectable? There is also the issue of managing inventory valuation for a new product vs. a rented one.

What does Odoo advise? Are we better off keeping these items separately in our inventory rather than trying to manage on one product template?

Discard
Best Answer

I will advise you to create 2 separate products, 1 to manage the product for sale and the other to manage rentals, in that way it will save you a lot of stress and also avoid mix up in your reports.

good luck.

Discard
Best Answer

Hi Julia

Yes, all available serial numbers will be available for renting if ticked "Can be rented". According to the type of production you have and your inventory strategy; I can imagine 2 options:

- Duplicate your product to create new product dedicated for the items you rent contains only those you items.

- Create new product and make it's BOM contains 1 pice of the original product and use this new one and make this new one available for renting. In this case, you will consume the serial number of the rented product in the manufacturing of the rentable product which will make it unavailable for selling. Create also a separate product category Rent Products and include the new products in it to be able to separate the accounting reports and inventory valuation.

I think second option will need a little bit more effort but will be better.

Good Luck

Discard

Hello Mohamed,

The second option was a great work around but unfortunately Odoo does a move from the main product location (the one i made for renting) to the rental location leaving the product location with a negative value and doesn't consider that the product has kit that he suppose to pick from not from the product I rent the process went as follows :

I have (Product X) that I sell and rent I made another one (Product X Renting) and made a BOM type kit for the rental product composed of Product X.
Note:
- Product X is track through unique serial numbers
- Product X quantities on hand 2
- The available stock displayed in the product template of Product X renting is 2 due to the kit(2 separate items each one have its own serial )
When I go to rental and make the order, in the pick up operation I select quantities from Product X renting not from its kit which not the normal cycle of delivery when selling a kit product so, after confirming the pick up the system transfer product X renting from location 1 to Rental location leaving location 1 with negative vale and still appearing in the product template that I have 2 available quantities (Due to the kit) and 1 unit is rented.

So, Apparently odoo is not handling renting products which is composed of kits.

Kindly, if you had tried it and worked for you inform me with the right configurations, Thanks in advance.