This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Hello,

I am trying to implement Odoo (11 & 12) for a small business (grocery store) and I am facing some issues illustrated below:

Product A - Chocolate bar:
Sale's price: $2
Stock location: WH/Shelf-01
Vendor: Contonso
Barcode: 1234567890
Minimum qty: 10 Units
Can be Sold, Cannot be purchased.

I buy Product A from wholesaler in a package of 50 units (50 chocolate bars). This is a separate product with its own information:

Product B - Family Pack Chocolate box
Purchase Price: $50
Stock location: WH/Stock/location-01
Vendor: Contonso
Barcode: 9876543210
Minimum qty: 1 Units
Maximum qty: 3 Units
Cannot be Sold, Can be purchased.

I would like to be able to buy Product B and sell Product A with above workflow:

1) Buy product B from supplier.
2) Stock product B in WH/Stock/location-01
3) Unpack Product B (-> Product A) and move it to sale location (WH/Shelf-01)
4) Sale Product A through PoS sale channel.

My main issue is with step 3, how do I create a product that can be bought then unpacked, with the product and the package having different UPC bar-code, thus considered different products.

I tried using the Manufacturing module to create Product B then create BoM (Bill of Material) containing Product A, but it is sloppy and not representative of my operation: I am not manufacturing any product, barely buying in packs and selling in units.

One of my objectives behind this is being able to scan products (wholesale packages) while I am at the supplier and create a purchase order on-the-fly, or even process products pick-ups and stock transfer with my phone without having to type anything.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Best regards,
Cheg'

Discard
Best Answer

BOM is the proper way to go. Unpacking is an operation, likewise is opening a bottle when selling wine by the glass also an operation.

Discard
Author Best Answer

Hello Ermin,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for my delayed response.

As I understand better the concept of an Operation (such as Unpacking) and the reasoning behind using a Bill Of Material, I still wonder about its efficiency. Allow me to clarify:

There already is a feature of putting & selling Products in Packs (Inventory>Delivery Package), you can assign product Variant, package quantity, price and bar-code.

Why wouldn't there be a similar option to Purchase in Packs (Inventory/Purchase > Purchase Package) with basically the same attributes.

The above not require the use of Manufacturing Module and can still be considered an operation from Odoo perspective.

What are your thoughts?

Discard