This question has been flagged

I'm using Eclipse + Pydev on Linux Ubuntu currently, but my hardware is getting old.

Is Apple / Mac OS a good development platform for OpenERP / ODOO? Which setup/environment do you guys use?

I'm also thinking about development on virtual machines (vagrant/virtualbox/docker) since the servers run on Linux Ubuntu. What is the best approach for development and debugging then? Eclipse in a virtual machine has a bad performance I guess. Back to PDB seems not ideal. Remote Debugging from the host to a virtual machine is still not really understandable for me. 

What do you think is the best setup? Is Mac even an option? Or is an Ubuntu host with (for example) Docker a better option?

Discard
Best Answer

Dear Hannes.
If you want to develop a openerp module, it is recommanded to use  a Linux OS (not necessary) to do a good thing.
I recommand you to increase the disk space of  your Virtual machine and use eclipse+pydev to develop your module.
Also, i recommand you to install openerp template and xml template to help you : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS4xICmi1JU
Best regards.
NB: If my answer help you, don't forget to vote my message.

Discard
Author

Hello Thacker, Thanks for your answer. I would like to ask you one more thing. Imagine I have 3 customers, each with a different Python version, a different Ubuntu version and a different Postgres version. In this case I think running virtual machines is a good solution. Now, since Apple has good hardware, I'm thinking that Mac OSX is a good host machine candidate. Do you agree with that? Or do you think that running Ubuntu as a host-machine (with possible other ways of virtualization) is easier/better/equal? With special regards to debugging code with Eclipse Pydev. Hannes

Best Answer

It really depends on your hardware capacity. You need at least 8 GB of RAM to run comfortably with virtual machies for development. I would choose ubuntu as my development machine simply there are  more information available but nothing is stopping you to do development with OSX as odoo/openerp is sitting on python 2.7 both Eclipse and Postgres 9.x  are available in OSX.

Discard
Author

Hi jc, I'm not think about running postgres on Mac. I'm thinking about running it all in virtual machine(s) and do only the development in MacOSX. Do you have experience with debugging code between the host and a virtual (remote) machine?

What do you mean by between the host and virtual? Could you elaborate further?

Author

Hi jc, the host is the system I'm normally using. For every customer we create a virtual machine (different python, postgres, ubuntu etc). I would like to run eclipse on the host system and debug code in the virtual environments with Eclipse.

Hi Hannes, I am running version 7 with the same addons across for all my clients, usually when come to debugging I will duplicate their database and simulate the bug reported in the test env. My main development env is in OSX . In the production env most clients are on ubuntu server and some are on window server, when client insisted. Virtual machine for me is for testing purposes , for example testing on diff platform, databases replication and new version and etc.