This question has been flagged

I am creating a module, that processes a credit card payment from a sales order. I was able to create a new record in the account.invoice table and also set the state to paid, but I noticed some other tables like account.move, account.move.line, and account.voucher which get records created when new invoices are normally created in openerp. My question is what are these other tables used for, and why are they important? Im not an accountant so Im not really sure how the Accounting features are supposed to work very well. If anyone can explain what they are used for I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Discard
Best Answer

For every accounting document there is a corresponding entry in the General Ledger (this is the same with almost every ERP and Accounting System in use today).

Documents:

• account.invoice - stores Invoices and Refund Invoices (credit notes) for Customers and Suppliers
  • account.invoice.line - stores the lines from an Invoice

• account.voucher - stores Payments

• account.voucher.line - stores the lines from a Payment.

Entries:

• account.move - stores Journal Entries
  • account.move.line - stores the lines from a Journal Entry (Journal Items)

These are ALL important.

A business document is a historical representation of a transaction and the general ledger is the central repository (based on double entry bookkeeping) recording those transactions so the impact on your business can be measured.

I suggest reviewing some background Accounting information, like http://www.principlesofaccounting.com/

Discard