Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Working with Odoo and a poor internet connection...

By
Jack Pegler
on 10/4/14, 3:11 AM 1,111 views

Hi,

For many reasons we want to implement Odoo in our growing business - put simply, it looks fantastic!

We have multiple locations and users but the issue we have is that the internet here can be slow and out of the city it can drop for days at a time. Its also worth mentioning that we anticipate a fair bit of customzation of the various modules. 

I was thinking that a solution might be to have local instances a computer at each location and then have each of local instances come together on the cloud. Is that something that is possible? or that anyone has experience with?

We do track everything on paper so could workaround this and have staff update when there is reliable internet but I'd prefer not to!

Thanks a lot!!

Jack

I guess your question is a a little too vague to give good answers. Odoo can perfectly run in a internal network, but you mention several locations ... I guess if you provide a more detailed picture of what you want to do, you'll be able to get more feedback

gunnar
on 10/9/14, 6:52 PM

Hi Gunnar, thanks for the response. I posted a reply as an answer to make it easier for others to see.

NRG, Jack Pegler
on 10/10/14, 12:08 AM
Tutu
On 10/9/14, 7:04 AM

hi

i think the offline mode for Odoo Pos would work for you perfectly fine , this has work for us too

Thanks Tutu. I've seen that the POS can run offline, so we'd definitely be able to implement that. We have some other admin activites that need doing at these locations so I was wondering if we could find a way to make those possible too.

NRG, Jack Pegler
on 10/9/14, 11:58 PM
Jack Pegler
On 10/10/14, 12:07 AM

***UPDATE***

Hey Gunnar, 
Thanks for the feedback, I guess I was a bit vague.

Some more info:
-We are establishing a distiobution network for clean energy products in rural comabodia.
-Our head offic eis in the capital, with several provinical offices in the provinces.
-We are trying to have as much of the admin (customer registration, sales invoicing, accounting and inventory managememt) as possible performed in the provinical office
-However we need all of the info, from all offices at the head office - for stragegy and supply chain.

-So, odoo online looks like a great option
-BUT the internet is slow and (can be intermittent) in the province, which would make odoo online painfully slow or not available for large chunks of time.
-obviously this is an issue as it would mean that info wouldn;t get to head office, and work would pile up for the admin staff.

-I wondered if we could set up Odoo on a computer at each of the provincial offices and in the Head office.
-then have the data from the provincial offices update to the central system in the head office, when the internet is good.
-i've seent this before when working in distribution in the UK (each store would upload data in the evening to the head office).

-Does anyone know if this is something that is possible? Maybe someone has a better solution or has experienced a similatr issue in the past.

thanks a lot!!

Jack

I don't have an answer for that (due to lack of know-how on my side) but I am quite sure similar issues (synchronizing databases) have been discussed in other threads here. Maybe a search will return some posts that might be helpful to start with.

gunnar
on 10/10/14, 12:44 AM

OK, cool. I think I need to dedicate a few hours to searching through the forums. As you say, there is such a large Odoo community, I'm sure similar things have been discussed. Thanks for taking the time to look at/reply to my question

NRG, Jack Pegler
on 10/10/14, 1:02 AM

here is one which is quite recent ... here is one very recent: https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/is-it-possible-to-sync-my-local-odoo-installation-with-odoo-installed-in-cloud-to-have-same-data-65686 But there is just a hint on what to google for, but maybe it helps

gunnar
on 10/16/14, 4:59 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

3 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 10/4/14, 3:11 AM
Seen: 1111 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM