Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Why my XML changes have no effect at all?

By
Eric
on 9/24/14, 11:31 AM 1,097 views

I'm trying to list all the products from a parent category, even if they're in a subcategory. Same as asked here: https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/list-products-in-all-subcategories-10874

I still can't make that work. But on one of my trial-error, I found out that deleting all the .xml files from /Server/server/openerp/addons/product/ has absolutely no effect. I restarted the service few times but the forms keeps working as usual and also the search functions and filters.

I spent all day trying to add a new filter when the problem seems to be that the service is not loading the xml files from where I thought. Why is that?

Brett Lehrer

--Brett Lehrer--
| 5 4 8
Milwaukee, United States
--Brett Lehrer--
Director of IT and open source enthusiast.
Brett Lehrer
On 9/24/14, 11:41 AM

Views are database persistent for performance reasons.  The process of installing/upgrading a module loads the views into the table ir_ui_view.  Once the module is installed, you can delete all the .xml files you want, it makes no difference.  You'll run into a lot of trouble the next time you try to upgrade the product module or one of its dependents, base, decimal_precision, mail, or report.

You need to inherit views to modify them properly.  You can also edit the default view as well, but it's not recommended as those changes won't be persistent through a module upgrade.

Ok, I understand it and makes a lot of sense. So, how can I force the system to refresh the xml that has stored in the database? If I go to Settings>Update Modules List>Update it says: Nice! No updates. I created a filter in Settings>Technical>User Interface>Views and now it works! Thank you so much

Eric
on 9/24/14, 11:58 AM

You need to go to the installed modules list and open the module you want, then click the upgrade button. It will update the model and view definitions to what the files say.

Brett Lehrer
on 9/24/14, 3:55 PM

Got it. Thank you!

Eric
on 9/24/14, 10:03 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 9/24/14, 11:31 AM
Seen: 1097 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM