Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Why does OpenERP not receive or recognize all mails in catch-all inbox?

Georg Bretschneider
on 2/28/13, 12:27 PM 5,133 views

Hi guys,

I created a catch-all email address and configured OpenERP accordingly (outgoing/incoming email account, mail domain). I started testing communication with external "partners" intensively. I can write an email from outside to an email alias associated with a project and create tasks this way. I can log in as the partner and view my messages, associated projects and so on. As an employer I can answer to created tasks. This email can be received by my external partner. Everything works fine so far.

But AFTER getting an answer sent from inside OpenERP and trying to answer to that message, OpenERP does not recognize this email in any way. It is not put in the users inbox whom reacted to the created task (or whatever), it's not to be seen in the overall messages overview. It's not an alias issue, my partner gets a correct email with a correct "answer to:" field etc. It only results in an email sitting in the IMAP inbox folder of the catch-all user, OpenERP seems to ignore it.

Okay, now I get it. OpenERP sends answers from inside to the outside just fine. But people can't answer directly to that email if they want OpenERP to know about that email. You have to click on that link in the emails signature and answer within OpenERP. Well, that's a bummer. I hoped OpenERP would be mightier when talking about case/issue handling.

Georg Bretschneider
on 2/28/13, 2:37 PM
Georg Bretschneider
On 3/6/13, 3:51 AM

I can answer this myself: I was testing using Apple Mail. For sending emails from a "partner" to OpenERP and receiving replies sent from within OpenERP. I monitored my catchall-account with Apple Mail, too, for easy confirmation that sent emails were delivered. Apple Mail strangely merges corresponding emails (different to Thunderbird) and is very fast in "mark ALL as read". So, the answer is: some mails got marked as read and therefor OpenERP didn't recognize them as new emails and didn't import them into OpenERP.

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)

--Fabien Pinckaers (fp)--
Tiny ERP Pvt Ltd
| 6 8 8
fsdsdfsdf, Belgium
--Fabien Pinckaers (fp)--

Odoo Founder & CEO

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)
On 2/28/13, 2:37 PM

We do not face your problem in our production environments. Try using the latest version 7. We fixed a lot of issues these days on the open chatter feature. (and a big merge is pending to be merged on monday, after code review).

I'm testing on a fresh OpenERP install using a nightly build from 27th February. The only thing that's working is when my partner clicks on the signature link in the received email and answers from within OpenERP (see my comment to my initial question above). Could you summarize your setup and configuration (OpenERP/Email server) so I can see if you did something special? Maybe you did something in OpenERP different than simply adding the catch-all account to incoming mail servers?

Georg Bretschneider
on 2/28/13, 2:40 PM
Dare Ojo-Bello
On 7/18/14, 5:00 PM

In Odoo 8, aliases are not automatically created for example when I create a new project or a new task or even create a new user. This was happening in v7. I have my catchall alias domain setup correctly

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 2/28/13, 12:27 PM
Seen: 5133 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM