Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Why are some translations ignored

By
Prowler
on 3/30/16, 3:59 AM 470 views

We want to translate Odoo to Slovenian. The problem is that strings sometimes just don't get translated like for example Create and Import buttons

I even tried this procedure and it doesn't help.

1) Stop odoo

2) Update all po files

3) DELETE FROM ir_translation WHERE lang = 'sl_SI'

4) ./odoo.py --stop-after-init --load-language=sl_SI -c odoo.conf)

5) Start odoo

We have all translations in one .po file. Could that be a problem? Also is it possible to import this .po file from command line and not on the web based form?

Temur

--Temur--
| 6 5 7
Tbilisi, Georgia
--Temur--
Programmer
Temur
On 3/30/16, 4:18 AM

Please skip database manipulation (i.e. step 3). After the 4th step, You can simply do:

./odoo.py --stop-after-init  --language=sl_SI  --i18n-overwrite --i18n-import=your_translation_file.po

Hm... I'm getting some strange python error: http://pastebin.com/AKFyd6NH

Prowler
on 3/30/16, 4:57 AM

Running as user 'root' is a security risk. -this error is not related to this command directly, but you should not run odoo with root, that's a point. If you'r odoo user is named as odoo, then ad at the begginning of the above command: sudo -u odoo

Temur
on 3/30/16, 5:02 AM

Thanks. I've been wondering if "su - odoo" is the correct way. Apparently not. This might also be related to my problem as the output is a little different now: http://pastebin.com/25MCLGvD

Prowler
on 3/30/16, 5:34 AM

yes, "su - odoo" is a correct way, but as I see in your output at http://pastebin.com/AKFyd6NH , this command did not worked in your case, because at the second line, command prompt is still "root@odooserver:/opt/odoo# ", it should be changed to "odoo@odooserver:/opt/odoo$ " if you configured odoo system user properly. Have you set up a system user odoo? maybe you're using different user for running odoo? if it's a case, then use the user you're running your odoo server with.

Temur
on 3/30/16, 5:49 AM

the last error you got is because of wrong data directory, it seems your instance had trouble to identify correct data directory path, or you choose wrong user to run odoo. you can add one more config, to command line or in the config file, that is a data directory path: data_dir = /path/to/filestore , and you can add -c /path/to/config/odoo.conf to command line than.

Temur
on 3/30/16, 6:03 AM

Awesome! I think it worked using the -c parameter. Now let's wait if the translations will be properly loaded. I'll report shortly.

Prowler
on 3/30/16, 6:36 AM

Nope. The translations still don't work correctly. I still see the 'Create' button.

Prowler
on 3/30/16, 6:44 AM

it seems you have not translated the "Create" string for that button. Now, as you imported all your translations, you can export strings to translate from your odoo instance to the .po file. You'll see in that po file what strings are leaved untranslated. I guess that "Create" string will be there as well, between untranslated terms. You can use --i18n-export=/fiel/to/exprot/translations.py instead of --i18n-import, in case of export operation

Temur
on 3/30/16, 7:09 AM

Thanks for your tips. I finally learned to do this stuff from cli. I have exported the file but I can't find one not-translated "Create" string.. :(

Prowler
on 3/30/16, 8:06 AM

you can directly open PO file in any text editor and search for the "Create" string and try to find out if it comes with it's translation or not... Also, consider to use some special software, designed to work with PO files and for translating terms in it. I can't recommend you any particular one, but you should easily find some good options on the web

Temur
on 3/31/16, 5:14 AM

Now the "Create" buttons magically turned to "Ustvari" without my interference. This particular translation just started working by itself. It happened during the weekend, when nobody was touching the code nor web interface. Of course this didn't solve my issue of ignored translations. Even worse: Now I see this behaviour is actually random. :(

Prowler
on 4/4/16, 7:23 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 3/30/16, 3:59 AM
Seen: 470 times
Last updated: 3/30/16, 7:02 AM