This question has been flagged
11 Replies

Since Odoo is kind of an Open Source platform, I believe I do have legitimate right to while-label web part of the odoo-server. Simple way to go is to grep all files and remove any mentions, links and credits to odoo developer source.... but with any new git pull or upgrade all my changes will be lost. Anyone know any better way to do it?

Also, annoying part of Odoo's credits push strategy is the pulldown message with request to register or upgrade an account with every new user login. Does not look like an Open Source, but rather as a free way to get traffic back to the odoo website.

Also, I want to completely remove the odoo stuff from user preferences top right pull down menu, i.e. "My Odoo.com Account", "About", and "Help Links".

And because of freakink karma requirement of "30" I couldn't attach any images here, unfortunately.

Discard
Best Answer

Hey, check out that module. It will help you with it. 

https://bitbucket.org/BizzAppDev/oerp_no_phoning_home/overview

Discard
Best Answer

Hey,

I have forked Odoo on GitHub to maintain a white label version of Odoo: https://github.com/odoo-white-label/odoo

I am starting the work now and will mainly focus on 10.0 branch. Contributions, pull requests, volunteers, feedback, any help in general is are welcome.

If you want to look after other branches let me know I can grant you permission to this GitHub repository.

Discard
Best Answer

Managed everyone check out: http://white-label-invoice.com/ , it is actually world, feel free to use it all during the terms you'd like and likewise ship accounts in a good many numerous stock markets. It is my opinion quite possibly Duty are usually arrange in each united states.

Discard
Best Answer

Using translation files will fix part of it, but there will still be a lot of links and place holders referring back to Odoo/OpenERP.  This really limits providing this as a whitelabel product because any potential customer can just follow those links back to Odoo's hosted offering. Now if your model is developing/customizing/training for Odoo usages this doesn't hurt so bad; but even then there is a chance that you are just advertising to give someone else the work/profit.

I understand Odoo needs to make money too, but as an opensource code this is FULL of backlinks that could steal potential clients. I have successfully removed all of these only to lose my work anytime I update the code. 

Discard

would that also happen whether you used git for installation/updating? I though the idea behind using git would be that local changes to your code are not being overwritten with each update. Maybe it might result in more conflicts if an update or patch is being done in an area of the code where you have removed any backlink.

Of course one has a problem if he does not provide any added value, complementary service nor a lower price. For me the no phoning home module works well and is enough.

Best Answer

Copied from a comment in an obscure location in bitbucket (this worked for me):

1. Clone the git repository

sudo git clone https://bitbucket.org/BizzAppDev/oerp_no_phoning_home.git

2. Remove the .git/ directory and the .gitignore files

cd oerp_no_phoning_home

sudo rm -rf .git/ .gitignore

3. Move the oerp_no_phoning_home/ folder to odoo/addons folder (instead of doing this, I went to the addon folder before step1 so it is already copied in there, for me this was not in python2.7)

sudo mv oerp_no_phoning_home/ /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp/addons

4. log into odoo and make sure the user has the 'technical features' check box ticked.

You might have to log in and out again to see the new menu item 'Upgrade Modules List'

5. Select the 'Installed Modules' from the menu, but make sure you remove the filter 'Apps' so you see them all.

6. Locate the 'Stop Phoning Home' module and click install.

Note: "About Odoo" still needs to be edited to refer to your company's info. Don't remove it since that is where you can activate the developer mode.

Discard
Author Best Answer

That looks promising, but does not solve all the "Odoo" blemishing problems. Right?

Discard

oerp_no_phoning_home will prevent your local Odoo to communicate with OpenERP S.A. reporting information about your database to them (which also will prevent the pulldown messages)

Author

Just installed it but the Odoo still phoning home, the top bar still there, and it tries to pull http://www.openadserving.com/script/java.php?option=rotateur&rotateur=32796

sorry I have no answer to that. In my installation that worked pretty good. I have no idea about your expertize so excuse if I step on your toes here ... can you describe what you mean by 'installed'? You need to put the module inside of your "addons folder" on a llunux box this is inside of /opt/odoo/odoo/server), make sure this folder is listed in your config file in addons_path. Then say "update Modules list" from the browser and when it shows up in your browser as a module that can be installed click 'install' ... if yuo did all that (and it is labelled now as"installed") ... I have no idea how to solve your problem. I'd suggest to open a new question specifically to this issue (oerp_no_phoning home not working), so the experts will notice your question.