Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Which methods I need to implement for successful inheriting other model (res.partner, hr.employee)?

By
Nemanja Dragovic
on 8/15/14, 7:45 AM 873 views

I want to edit some models trough inheriting. I don't know which methods I need to implement. I saw in other modules that there are methods like copy, on_create, etc. Can anyone help me?

Nemanja, this purely depends on the model you want to use. You want _inherit or _ineherits? Specify your question in a little detailed manner.

Serpent Consulting Services Pvt. Ltd.
on 8/15/14, 8:40 AM

I know the difference between _inherit and _inherits, it's written in technical memento. I need help with understanding basics of writing new model or inheriting existing. Under basic I meen which methods I need to implement for my model. For example I have model people, and when my user click Save on adequate view I need to write data to few other tables, of course based on data that my user entered. How can I catch this event, and how can I achieve this?

Nemanja Dragovic
on 8/15/14, 10:29 AM

_inherit seems right for you. Which methods to override depends on your need. create() for creatin new record, write() for updating data of record, unlink() when you remove that record! fields_view_get() when you want to alter the view archirecture dyamically!

Serpent Consulting Services Pvt. Ltd.
on 8/19/14, 8:54 AM

Ludo - Neobis

--Ludo - Neobis--
| 2 2 5
Hoogvliet, Netherlands
--Ludo - Neobis--

Developer

Ludo - Neobis
On 8/15/14, 8:47 AM

Basically you only need to override methods that you would like to use. If you for example only want to add fields, you can just define them. If you want something done when saving or creating a record, you need to inherit the appropriate method. Every object has a set of methods which are defined here:

https://doc.odoo.com/trunk/server/api_models/ (as soon as it gets back online)

Can you give me an example of overridden create method?

Nemanja Dragovic
on 9/6/14, 7:20 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 8/15/14, 7:45 AM
Seen: 873 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM