This question has been flagged
5 Replies

Hello all,

if I have to modules that both inherit the same class.

the same method is defined in both inherited classes.

how to know which of the two new methods will be executed first?

where is the best documentation about this concept? Can we talk about multi inheritance?

thanks to guide me

Discard
Best Answer

Hello Pascal,

It decides based on the module dependency.

The method of child method will be called first and then its parent module's method will be called.

Ex: There are 3 modules called A, B (B depends on A), C (C depends on B)

So, first method of module C (child) will be called. Then method of module B will be called and then method of module A will be called.

Parent module's method will be called if you have called super() method.

Hope this helps you.

Discard
Author

Thanks for you answer. If B depends on A and module C depends on A too???

I am not sure but might be the module which was installed last, the method of that module will be called.

Author

thanks again. I will test it.

Best Answer

First of all, when we you define a method again, you are overriding it, which means only one version of the method is called. No method will be called before the other.

Odoo will look into your __openerp__.py. It will check the 'depends' list value. It will look for the method your are overriding in the modules in the 'depends' list.

Odoo will try to find the method in the first module in the list, if not found it will look into the next module, and if not it will look into the 3rd one, etc ...

So, if method B override method A and method C overrides A as well, you need to add the module name of the method A in the 'depends' list before the module name of method B. 

On the other hand, if method B overrides method A, and method C overrides method B, you need to add the module name of the method B in the 'depends' list before the module name of method A. 

Hint: The module name is the same as the folder name in [Odoo home directory]/addons folder

Discard