This question has been flagged
7 Replies

Hello all,

Since two years, I do all me development with Komodo IDE on Ubuntu and Mac.

And you? What is your best IDE for Ubuntu?

Is it free?

Why do you use this IDE?

What is your favorite functionnality in this IDE?

Thanks to comment!

Discard

Just install pydev on eclipse

I'll be glad to help you in learning how to debug odoo with eclipse

All your comments are very interesting! Thanks all.

Best Answer

I am using PyCharm IDE for development and also refer to this IDE for others since it is a good Environment. My development team here also using PyCharm and They are also satisfied with its usage. Any other recommendations are also welcome.

Here are some Good Features of PyCharm:

• Intelligent Coding Assistance
  • Smart Code Navigation
  • Fast and Safe Refactorings
  • Built-in Developer Tools
  • Debugging, Testing and Profiling
  • VCS, Deployment and Remote Development
  • Database tools
  • Customizable UI
  • Plugins
  • Cross-platform IDE
  • Built-in PEP-8 for Python

Intelligent Coding Assistance:

• Intelligent code editor
  • Syntax highlighting
  • Auto-Indentation and code formatting
  • Configurable code styles
  • Code completion
  • Code selection and comments
  • Code formatter
  • Code snippets
  • Code folding
  • On-the-fly error highlighting
  • Multiple carets and selections
  • Code analysis
  • Quick-fixes
  • Duplicated code detector
  • Configurable language injections
  • Code auto generation
  • Intention actions

Discard
Best Answer

No way, Definitly is PyCharm, I have used Eclipse since Europa and I loved Eclipse but once I jump into PyCharm I don't miss anything of Eclipse, also Eclipse with PyDev get unstable from version to version, I mean I switch to PyCharm because of that.

PyCharm meet all the needs that you could have and have an strong integration with Python frameworks, not all of course but it's Python oriented. It have a community edition that have more than what PyDev give you and the Enterprise version that basically add integrations with frameworks and others stuffs. Personally I use the EAP Enterprise version wish is the version for testing the new features that Pycharm will be releasing in the future to report issues and bugs but give you the full access to the Enterprise version and gets frequently updated to fix things and get new features.

My vote is definitely to PyCharm and I have an strong background developing on Eclipse for Java and Python

Discard
Best Answer

NO doubt, Eclipse.  Neon is perfect (may be Che is better, but still need to learn how to include db container in che receip).

I did start using it on august, by September I was already getting familiar enough to make my development go much faster.

When you have the ability to see the variable flow in you running Odoo for debugging purpose, you gonna understand how easy it is to fix thing.

Discard
Author

Eclipse is not better to develop in Java rather than python?

Author

With which IDE are you able to see the variable flow? It is very interesting... Really. Is it hard to implement?

Best Answer

No matter who wins in this question, feel free to share technical details of your IDE experience here: https://odoo-development.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ide/index.html

Discard
Best Answer

The best IDE for Odoo is PyCharm + Odoo plugin.

https://odoo-ide.com

https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/13499-odoo

PS: I am an Odoo developer and the author of the Odoo plugin for PyCharm. I have been putting a lot of effort into IDE tools for Odoo. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do. 

Discard
Best Answer

Hello All,

There are best 3 editor you can use for developing odoo applications or any developing purpose.

1) Sublime: This is the light weight editor and provides some theme and shortcuts for ubuntu. It is very useful for low configuration device. It will take very low memory of usage.

2) PyCharm: This is very useful and attractive editor. It will provides lots of addons.

3) Eclipse: This is also good one

Hope it will helpful for you.

Thanks and regards

Haresh Kansara

Discard
Best Answer

For me SublimeText, is very lightweigh with Anaconda, pyliner, js and xml plugin. For debuggin pudb.

Discard