Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Where to find the product category id for an import into the point-of-sale module?

Joël Schmid
on 7/12/14, 10:56 AM 2,911 views

Hey guys

I would like to import some products into odoo for the point of sale module. Howewer I have a category called "Chalet" which is not found during import. Where can I find the external id / id of the product category, in this case product category "Chalet"?

This is the .csv which I would like to import:

External ID,Name,Internal Reference,Category/External ID,Can be Expensed,Can be Purchased,Can be Sold,Sale Price,Cost,Supply Method,Product Type,Procurement Method

AR1,Arni ,AR1,Chalet,TRUE,TRUE,TRUE,0,0,Buy,Service,Make to Stock

AU9,Ausbi 1 ,AU9,Chalet,TRUE,TRUE,TRUE,0,0,Buy,Service,Make to Stock

This is the error message I get: enter image description here

Antonio M. Vigliotti
On 7/13/14, 1:29 PM

With user enabled to use "Technical Features"Setting -> Technical -> Sequence & Identifiers -> External IdentifiersIn search box -> Model Name = *product.category*Now you can see what you need.Antonio M. Vigliotti

On 12/9/14, 10:09 PM

Another way to get the external identifier is:

• As Administrator, left click on the username in the top right-hand side and click on 'About odoo'
  • Left click on 'Activate Developer Mode'
  • When odoo refreshes, go to Warehose -> Configuration -> Products -> Product Categories
  • Doubleclick on the category of interest in the treeview
  • Near the top of the page is a dropdown that says something like 'Debug View#265'.  Click on that and then click on 'View metadata'
  • The xml id can be the external identifier

I have had better luck using the 'Category / Database ID' versus 'External ID' for some of these fields when importing.  The database id can be determined like so:

• When odoo refreshes, go to Warehose -> Configuration -> Products -> Product Categories
  • Doubleclick on the category of interest in the treeview
  • In the address bar, you will see something that ends similarly to: web?debug=#id=184&view_type=form&model=product.category
  • In the example above, the database ID is 184. 

Best of luck with the import!

Cliff Kujala
On 12/9/14, 3:37 PM

You can find the product category in the URL when viewing the category.

1. Goto: Sales>Configuration>Product Categories & Attributes>Product Categories
  2. Open your category Chalet
  3. Check the URL shown in your browser. Should look like http://yourodooaddress.com/web?#id=3&view_type=form&model=product.category&menu_id=119&action=119
  4. In this case the category I was viewing was id=3, yours will of course be different

| 5 2 6
Lomé, Togo

On 7/14/14, 11:45 AM

When you are wanting to import product you must create or import before the relation field(eg : many2one). In your case the field category_id is a many2one field. So you have to create or import your category "Chalet" manually in Odoo and then export it. By doing this you will get the right "Category/External ID". Copy it and plaste it in your currant csv file.

Hope it helps.

Joël Schmid
On 7/13/14, 5:30 AM

I see now the external identifier of product_category_all. But I don't see the id of the category "Chalet". Where can I find it? What value should I add to the "Category/External ID" row?

Did you change column header from 'Category/External ID' to 'Category'? I did not tested but i guess you should insert text value instead of id. You could find some info here http://www.zeroincombenze.eu/wiki/OpenERP/dev/import

Antonio M. Vigliotti
on 7/13/14, 1:28 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Asked: 7/12/14, 10:56 AM
Seen: 2911 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM