Just finished importing Suppliers from a .csv file containing 750 records. The file validated and imported without errors, but the Suppliers screen shows a record count of 691. What gives?
Found the problem. I had used the supplier ID from the previous application as the "External ID" column during import. Most of the records had a value, but some did not. Those that were "empty" (they actually contained spaces) were simply skipped by the import. However, once I opened the .csv file in OpenOffice, filtered on the External ID column (where value begins with " "), and deleted all content from the "empty" cells, then I was able to import all of the records, including the External IDs.
I have run into similar problems with "blank" cells in other imports. Doing a "delete all" on those cells sometimes gets rid of import (validation) errors. It seems like any error message that appears is often misleading. When importing products, the validator complained that none of the records contained a product_id, though the column was clearly present. Turns out there were a couple of blanks, and the "delete all" trick (or removal of the entire row) allowed the import to proceed.
Hope this helps someone else!
Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!
About This Community
|Asked: 10/23/14, 2:59 PM|
|Seen: 630 times|
|Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM|