This question has been flagged
3 Replies

Hi,

Is there a known release date for V8?

We have established a need for an ERP system in our business and we are toying with the idea of going on the technical training but are unsure whether to focus on v7 now or wait till version 8 is released?

Many thanks,

Discard
Best Answer

Hello,

I installed odoo v8 RC1 from github (in v8 barnch at time of writing) on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS using this script: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lukebranch/openerp-install-scripts/master/odoo-saas4/ubuntu-14-04/odoo_install.sh

I just replacfed the line

OE_SERVERTYPE="openerp-gevent"

with

OE_SERVERTYPE="openerp-server"

to use the usual 8069 port

There are some other scripts around that I did not test.

No real issue found up to now. you can probably start your evaluation on this version.

Franck

Discard
Best Answer

This is the question that everyone is asking, given the fact that it was announced at the open days that the 7th of July was going to be the big release date. Now it is two weeks on and nobody knows when it is going to be out of the 'RC' state. It is important because I cannot set any developers onto the task of writing reports and modules until we have something that is stable enough to be called an official release.

Discard

There was a countdown in V7 and they had to release it with many bugs visible from minute one. Now I am very happy about this delay hoping that they are fixing bugs so V8 will be much more usable.

Not sure that launching with bugs or missing well advertised launch dates is better - both are indicative of a lack of control over the development process. Also I don't think that it is reasonable to expect any serious users of odoo to start implementation projects with only an RC version - sure you can let developers play around with those but it is not the same for users who are going to have to be able to rely upon a stable odoo platform.

Best Answer

Hello Matt,

I think there is no official release date of Odoo V8 that they have declared so far.

In github, you will find latest V8, you can download and test modules as per your requirement. However, there are some lackings in V8 code, but overall I can say that you can go with V8. There is no need to focus anymore on V7. Because there is not a major difference in V7 & V8 unless they have added new website modules and API. When you get technical training from anywhere, do not forget to learn the new API of V8, not only old kind of V7 technical code.

Regards,

Discard