Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

What will change about the Odoo licensing in Odoo 9?

By
Yenthe
on 6/6/15, 11:37 AM 4,677 views

What will be changing in the Odoo licensing for Odoo V9 and how will this affect customers/users/..

Yenthe

--Yenthe--
| 7 7 8
Turnhout, Belgium
--Yenthe--

My Odoo blog: http://www.odoo.yenthevg.com/

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Yenthe666

Yenthe
On 6/6/15, 11:37 AM

In version 9 we will see a rather big change in terms of licensing.Odoo V8 was licensed under AGPLv3 and this will now change to LGPLv3 in combination with OE.

So, what will this change involve? Odoo 9 changes to LGPLv3 and becomes the Odoo community edition. The LGPLv3 licensing will allow anybody to sell Odoo apps on the app store. Besides of the Odoo 9 community edition there will be a V9 Enterprise Edition. This is a pretty big game changer in Odoo 9 and directly stears Odoo from being fully open sourced to being partially open sourced and partially closed. The Enterprise Edition will contain a set of new apps on top of the Odoo community edition.

A good thing to know is that the Enterprise Edition will never be open-sourced and the code will only be available to official Odoo partners and Odoo itselfs. This also means that a non-official partner cannot sell the Enterprise Edition and thus an Odoo customer can only buy the Enterprise Version from Odoo or its partners. Another interesting fact is that the Enterprise Edition will contain full responsiveness! It will fully adapt itself to mobile, tablet, computer,.. and means that this will be the first Odoo version that is truely mobile useable.

If you would like to have access to these features you will need to buy the Enterprise version, which will be an additional 20€ per user per month.

The modules that we now know in Odoo 8 will remain available for anyone in V9, without any extra cost, and will always be publicly on Github. New apps that will be in the Enterprise contract are account_dashboard, account_check_print, web_mobile, project_forecast and probably a whole lot more that are not publicly discussed yet.

While this post covers the basic information and details it still misses a lot of information. There is still limited information available at the moment and this will keep expanding when we get towards the release of Odoo 9 (Q4 2015). You can view the official presentation about licensing from Olivier Dony here: https://www.odoo.com/slides/slide/open-source-licenses-196

Having the ability to install paid apps (similar to Magento) is an improvement in my opinion provided this will become available to SAAS users as well.

Denise van der Linden-Morris
on 8/17/15, 9:07 PM

Ermin Trevisan

--Ermin Trevisan--
| 6 3 7
Walchwil, Switzerland
--Ermin Trevisan--

Ermin Trevisan
On 6/9/15, 8:38 AM

But....what really scares me off is this: https://www.odoo.com/groups/community-59/community-12699673?mode=thread&date_begin=&date_end=

The move from AGPL to LGPL in order to allow for a proprietary enterprise edition is a big issue by itself and was and is heavily discussed. But if you add the User Interface to the proprietary code, it becomes more than difficult.

It is a little scary yes, I'm curious how this will progress in V10. If they will make even more closed-source or not..

Yenthe
on 6/9/15, 9:44 AM

Now people understand openerp version bad polices.

Zahin
on 10/23/15, 9:58 AM

context = {'search_default_fund': now in private, 'default_community': fool, 'default_partners': fool_ui_chang_complete_product_private, 'search_default': soon_rest_all_removed }

Zahin
on 10/23/15, 10:02 AM

Stephen Mack

--Stephen Mack--
| 8 8 9
Santiago, Chile
--Stephen Mack--

Some people call me a karma whore, I only ask for 10 points if you like my answer and 15 if I happen to get it correct.

Stephen Mack
On 6/7/15, 11:13 AM

A list of changes have been posted in a Google Doc file.

Great find Stephen! Hmm the differences seem to be even bigger than I thought.

Yenthe
on 6/8/15, 1:55 AM

Thanks. Not sure what is meant by "Upgrades to future versions" not being supported. I'm a SAAS user and until now upgrades to the latest (community) edition were performed automatically. Will this feature go away or do they mean upgrade as a service if you install on premise or at a cloud service provider (e.g. AWS) is not supported?

Denise van der Linden-Morris
on 8/17/15, 9:04 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

3 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 6/6/15, 11:37 AM
Seen: 4677 times
Last updated: 9/4/15, 12:44 AM