Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

What is the status of odoo v9 stable? [Status: Under Development]

By
Stephen Mack
on 6/1/15, 6:58 PM 3,364 views

What is the release process of odoo and when will v9 stable become available?

Stephen Mack

--Stephen Mack--
| 8 8 9
Santiago, Chile
--Stephen Mack--

Some people call me a karma whore, I only ask for 10 points if you like my answer and 15 if I happen to get it correct.

Stephen Mack
On 6/1/15, 7:12 PM

As with Odoo v8, I will be updating this thread as v9 hits it's milestones on the way to stable release.  Please note that this is a process and no firm dates are ever announced by Odoo (just target dates).  Statistics from the last release show that it might take a little over two months from RC1 to final stable release and as long as five months to have the release fully integrated into the ecosystem.

The following is Odoo's internal process that was released by one of odoo's lead developers. 

1. Standalone Release Candidate 1 available 

2. V9 migration scripts [Enterprise Customers | Community Upgrade]

3. Standalone released stabilized -> bugfixes

4. Translation templates available: Server, Web, Addons

5. Migrate the odoo.com website -> bugfixes

6. nightly.odoo.com/9.0/nightly deb/exe/rpm/src packages available

7. First Transifex -> GitHub migration of translation files

8. Publish odoo.com/documentation/9.0/

9. Deployed to Odoo SaaS for new customers -> bugfixes

10. Migrate existing SaaS customers -> bugfixes

11. Final stable release  

12. Update apps.odoo.com to pull v9 modules from GitHub

Statistics:

• xx days from release candidate 1 until version 9 stable release.

• xx days until the full odoo.com ecosystem supported version 9.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your posts, they are very informative.

Any idea what
#1 "Offline Release Candidate"
refers to?
Does this mean that Odoo's R&D work for 9.0 will happen behind the scenes like Magento's (ie. not in a publicly accessible repository), or is this just some terminology that i'm not familiar with that is referring to something else?

Luke Branch
on 6/1/15, 11:06 PM

@Luke, I actually think they are programming on 9.0 without having it publicly. When you look at the current statistics on Github for Odoo you'll see all graphs have a trend that goes down. Less lines added, less updates, less fixes, .. So I assume they're developing in a private repo at the moment.

Yenthe
on 6/2/15, 4:27 AM

First let me say that I am not a conspiracy nut - I don't see evil intentions behind every word. This is the same wording that was used in odoo v8 so why now is it interpreted differently? I read offline as "standalone" or non-SaaS and nothing more. My point is strengthened by the fact that they don't say SaaS but Online version towards the end of the list. So I will edit the post to change the word to standalone version.

Stephen Mack
on 6/2/15, 8:20 AM

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for clarifying, I didn't mean to imply anything, I just hadn't put two and two together (SaaS = Online - ie. odoo.com, major stable versions = Offline).

Thanks for all your hard work in the forums. I've subscribed to this thread and I look forward to seeing all the updates leading up to the release of version 9. From what i've seen in the runbots for the master branch, and the dev branches it looks like it's going to be another game-changer like version 8.

Luke Branch
on 6/2/15, 9:46 AM

I am looking forward to the odoo days presentations. I was only trying to be very clear because every change and update odoo makes people say the strangest things. It gets a little tiring to see it. I really think that Odoo needs to do a better job at communication. I don't know why they didn't talk to the leaders of OCA about the license change and get their feedback and then present something as a uniform Odoo + Community announcement. They just keep giving themselves black eyes and it drives me crazy. But I am not Fabien so all I can do is watch. Anyway the people who write these things are not native English speakers and so meanings get lost in the translations and then re-interpreted for other non-English first speakers. Anyway to be 100% clear I changed offline to standalone and online to SaaS. And thank you for all your contributions to the odoo community! Best regards.

Stephen Mack
on 6/2/15, 10:15 AM

Hi Stephen,
I have also seen some heated debates on the mailing lists. I do think Odoo SA suffers due to lack of communication, and perhaps their earnest efforts are misconstrued/misinterpreted sometimes.

I do think such a seismic/fundamental shift in license and ideology should have been eased into over the course of a year or so, and that the key community organisations and partners should have been heavily involved in the entire process, however hopefully Odoo SA addresses everyone's concerns at the OpenDays so that Odoo SA + Partners + Community can move forward unanimously and drive Odoo into the mainstream to be the dominating force for ERP, eCommerce, CMS, and other applications for SME's.

Luke Branch
on 6/2/15, 10:07 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

6 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 6/1/15, 6:58 PM
Seen: 3364 times
Last updated: 9/2/15, 7:58 PM